HybridZ

LSx + S30 gauges

I just bought Autopower tach and speedo from a forum member.  Thinking ahead to the 3-gauge pod in the center of the dash.  I currently have stock S30 gauges.  What gauges are you guys running (please specify the function that you recommend monitoring).  I'm imagining fuel level, engine oil pressure, water temp.  No turbo on this car, but NO2 is in my future some time.  Any other suggestions?

Most of the S30 gauges are dual gauges, so so when you replace those with single style gauges you're going to need at least 5 or 6.

You are missing volt gage which is very important. Vacuum gage would be good as well.

I went with speedhut gauges for the main two:  GPS Speedo (160 mph) and Tach (8k)

But I went with GlowShift's 7 Color LED gauges for the triples:  Water Temp, Oil Pressure, and Fuel Gauge (all 3 electronic so you only have to run the wires)

Fuel pressure gauge will eventually find its way inside the cabin but it's on the fuel rail at the moment.  Volt gauge would be nice but I bought a ridiculously high CCA battery and it shouldn't have any trouble turning the lowely 5.3 over until it's completely dead.

However like we talked earlier, my fuel gauge hooked up to the GM style (0-90 ohm) sender in my fuel cell only reads from my foam to the top of the tank.  Which I equate to around 1/3 of the tank capacity or 5 gallons... So if it reads 1/8 tank then I know I've got 10 gallons or less haha, but I also noticed that under 5 gallons and on downhill curvy backroads that it'll starve my pump so I try to keep it near the 10 gallon mark or higher.   It's WAY cheaper than filling up the diesel so I don't mind!

I would recommend going 1 size bigger than the triple gauges I purchased (2-1/16"), they seem smaller than expected. 

I built my fuel tank and have a autometer universal sender. I believe the Phantoms are available in the three common ohm ratings so you should be able to match the stock sender. I think I have an extra 0-90 ohm fuel gauge....

The oil pressure goes up with the rpm and I can see the t stat open but other than that I have no real idea on the accuracy. The volt meter does match my multi meter.

It was a little over $800 for the gauge set but I got a $100 rebate with the purchase. The 5" GPS speedo was about half the total price

Edited by Naptown Dave

my autometer temp gauge consistently reads 10 degrees warmer than the PCM output.  Not sure why, but it always reads 185, and the fans keep it at 195.  Adding a 160 degree thermostat this year, and a better radiator, so we'll see what happens.

Because the senders are not in the same place. My Speedhuts are 10 degrees higher than the PCM based on when the fan kicks on.

Except they're not. I have a 98 temp sender which is a 3 wire, and sends the signal directly to the gauge, and to the PCM...... 

• 4 weeks later...

Went with a Speedhut 3 5/8" quad gauge. Oil Press, Water temp, Voltmeter, Fuel Level.  Programmable Fuel level.  Double Pole Double Throw switch for either Fuel or Oil Pressure on Pressure portion of gauge.  Several temp sensors, selectable through rotary switch for display on temp portion of gauge.  Also installing Speedhut 3 5/8" Speedo.  Both Indicators fit within the original buckets from which the mechanical speedo and elec tach came from.  Three empty center panel openings.  One for Air Fuel Mixture, one for Vacuum Gauge and other for tachometer?  Would like Analog LED + digital number display tach which as INSTANTANEOUS (zero lag) analog display of RPM.