HybridZ

New car! Ferrari 360

rnye

that_feeling.jpg

10296308_624930117575064_772077305363981

RARIz.jpg

First Ferrari!  '99 360, F1 tranny.  Silver/red interior.

Delivered a few days ago - bought from a friend out in CA.  Already have mods waiting to go on - the M5 is in the shop but when it comes out the 360 goes in for:

- Fabspeed headers

- Kevlar heat blankets 

- Test Pipes (car has Tubi muffler already)

- Challenge Stradale TCU (computer for the F1 transmission)

- Nitto NT01s

- Laser jammers and V1 hardwired

Also doing new MAFs, oil change and some other minor stuff.  It's fun and certainly generates a lot of attention, even in a subdued color.  I hate the transmission as it's sluggish and slips the clutch way too much on rollout, but the TCU upgrade should fix it.

And please excuse the Z's rough exterior - still deciding on what direction to take it (flares, g nose, blah blah).

RIck

The 360 responds well to N/A bolt ons.  I mean it's not an SBC or what have you, but with headers and test pipes you can expect a 20-25hp gain.

This is an early car and there were 8 different TCUs or so over the years.  The TCU I have coming is plug and play with the CS software.  It's makes for quicker clutch engagement, offers launch control and much more aggressive upshifts and downshifts.  It should improve the drivability greatly.  You have to remember this isn't a dual clutch gearbox - its a single clutch, hydraulically actuated manual and it honestly feels like someone is learning to drive with how sluggish it is when cold/not being pushed.  

I would relate the driving experience to a hyped up S2000.  It's direct, light, toassable and you have to wind it out to build speed.  Effortless to drive, even quickly and has quite a bit of understeer when pushed.  I really like it and felt comfortable in it quickly.  Also, despite what the internet may have you believe, it's actually pretty DIY friendly assuming you aren't messing with the computers (two ECUs, one TCU, etc) - as it required an SD2/SD3 Ferrari/Maserati computer.  It's well laid out and there are a ton of supplier out there.

360s have come down in value quite a bit, but they're not 50k yet... at least I don't think so. At that price you'd probably be looking at a beat-up one with necessary servicing required. 

Cool car, I just don't think I'd have the cahones to buy the F1 transmission over a manual. If it breaks, its stupid expensive to fix. By all accounts 360s are pretty reliable cars though, as far as Ferrari goes anyway.

Don't really want to ask how much did you get it for, but was it less than $50,000? 

I always assumed Ferrari owners were just compensating for shortcomings elsewhere. If I had a chest like that, I wouldn't wear a dang shirt and I would drive a convertible. My cousin had an old 308-does your car require you to drive with your feet in the glovebox?

LOL.  The car is ridiculously roomy on the inside and has a very wide and open cabin.  I have subs behind the seats and am 6' tall... absolutely zero issues.  It feels bigger (up front) than my E39 M5.  

And yes, a lot of people do buy these cars (among every other high end sports car) as status symbols - I am not one of them. I bought it because it's a mid engine, 5v cyl, 8500rpm, flat crank V8 that makes beautiful sounds. It has one of the prettiest aluminum bodies even penned and if produced by one of the winningest car manufacturers ever. I'm a car guy and I'm lucky to call this MY car.

Ferrar_right_side.jpg

ferrari_rear_3_4.jpg

ferrari_inteiror_1.jpg

Ferrari_Modena.jpg

ferrari_trans.jpg

ferrari_front_3_4.jpg

ferrari_side.jpg
Edited by rnye

Thanks.  I don't know if the pump has been replaced - very extensive PPI was done and it seems problem free but it's a Ferrari so who knows.  I will be replacing the relay regularly..

The headers can easily be done at home - but not MY home - I live in a condo.  The shop that does the work on my M5 is doing them this week.  :)

Rick