HybridZ

Wheel fitment question

I think it will be close. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there's about 4.5" backspace allowance stock suspension size. If that's correct, your rears are looking at 4.4" backspace and the fronts are a bit safer I think at about 4.1" backspace.

Pull a wheel, measure what backspace you have available, and do the math. You can use a tool like this site http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp to check backspace results and you can refer to a chart like this to understand what measurements you are dealing with.

wheel_offset.gif

Edited by CasperIV

I run 16x8 -0 offset with Bridgestone G009 225-50-16 The car is lowered 1.5 in. I have 1/4 in. clearance to the inner spring perch. The inner lip of the finder has been ground down to the spot welds to allwe more clearance. When the suspension is compressed and the wheel is up in the wheel well I have 1/4 in. clearance at the finder lip.  1/4 in. allows for tire flex in either direction. I have never had a tire rub. The reason I mention the brand of tire and model is because even though the size may say they are the same such as 225-50-16 the tires may not measure the same.

The Tire Rack has information on the products they sell. Click on the tire you are interested in and then click on Specs. such as I have listed below for you. This allows you to find a tire that might be wider or narrower as needed. You may find the brand you want may not fit and have to look to a brand that makes a narrower tire although listed as the same size. That is the basics.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+DZ102&partnum=25VR6DZ102&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Now the rest of the story. While you are on the Tire Rack looking at 225- 50-15 you will notice that your options are very limited. All but one tire is a R compound rubber. If that is what you want that is good. If you want a true road tire and expect20,000- 40,000 miles and able to drive in cold temperatures, R compounds will not make you happy. So, you may look at a 225-45-15 they are slightly narrower than the 50 series with a lower profile and may work for your fitment. There are also a couple of non-R compound tires in that size. 

A 15 in. wheel looks great on a Z. However, tire options are drying up for those sizes. There are plenty of and will always be plenty of R compounds tires in 15 in. but many people are getting rid of their 15 in. wheels as there are not many tire options available. Another size that looks good on a Z in 15 in. is 205-60-15.