HybridZ

Have Z prices really gone up that much?

rturbo 930

Or is this guy nuts? I'm assuming, and hoping he's nuts, I haven't bought my car yet :(.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-Series-240Z-AWESOME-240Z-240-z-RUST-FREE-Original-Low-Mile-Collector-EXCELLENT-TRADE-/161286338210?forcerrptr=true&hash=item258d6a36a2&item=161286338210&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

"Driver quality" paint job, L28 swapped, speakers in the doors, poorly done dash cap... I would expect this car to go for HALF the asking price. I was kinda of tracking the market this time last year, and I saw a few like this for 6-8k - and they had the original motor (not that I cared).

Prices have gone up but not that much. $8000 might even be high for that car. My car was in that kind of shape when I stripped it down to bare metal to start over again.

I know of a great deal on a Z this weekend that a friend sold to a friend for $15,000. The body was great to start with.  A $10,000 paint job that does not appeal to most was added, a Robello 2.8 L triple Webers at 289 hp.with 3800 miles on it, Willwoods all around, 3.90 limited slip R200 the car was redone from inside out bottom to top. Probably with an appealing paint job and some advertising it would have fetched $20,000 to $25,000.

Yeah, I agree, even $8000 would be high for that car. I'm thinking $6000 would be about right. I saw two very similar cars last year (wish I could post the specifics, but I lost that info in a HD crash), even down to the color. Both had L24s, and the asking prices I think were both about $7000. I don't know what they actually sold for, though. And I think the fact that it has an L28 is going to lower the value quite a bit for the market he's selling to. Would actually be a great car for me if the price was reasonable, since I wanted to do an L28 swap anyway, and I'm a big fan of 918 orange.

Haggerty prices an "average" 1970 series 1 240Z at just under $15K. A 1977 280Z in similar condition at $7k.

That would be an "insurance" value though, not necessarily an actual sales value. It does show, however, that the older S30's are starting to appreciate in value.

Car is nice looking but not a "restoration". I would consider it a "refresh oration" :-) Lot's of little things that are a bit rough and not completely redone. $6-8K sounds like a decent range.

The seller should have been smart enough to detail the car inside & out before taking the photos. It would have garnered more interest and probably a higher selling price.

They are getting up there, not many around  that are not rat rods and in need of little coin .  The real nice ones are been taken by overseas buyers . Good to see that our Z's are getting the respect and are desirable , lets ENJOY THE RIDE  ;)

Edited by PLATA

Just combed through craigslist... noticed a few asking prices that seemed waaay to high - more than I expected. I assumed the guy selling on ebay was nuts, but now I'm not so sure. Decent cars seemed to be going for 6-8k last year, and those were mostly nice drivers - #4 cars according to Hagerty. Didn't see many of those on CL though, mostly projects, and semi-restored cars.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it? I really hope prices haven't gone up that much, I'm planning on buying a solid Z as soon as I sell my E30 this summer. No more rust buckets for this guy.

There is an increasing amount of interest in 240zs from guys with money. I work in the vintage Porsche world now and I'm suddenly being quizzed about 240zs. Helped a Porsche collector buy a 240z built in 1969 last year and he plans a full restoration later this year or early next. The intent is to keep it for a couple years and then sell it at JCCS.

I would think the guys with money would only be interested in the really nice or rare examples though, so those cars would go up in value,  but the ones that need a bit of work, or don't have matching numbers, etc, would pretty much stay the same.

I don't think Zs will ever get to the point that the early 911s have though. Too many were made.

I would think the guys with money would only be interested in the really nice or rare examples though, so those cars would go up in value,  but the ones that need a bit of work, or don't have matching numbers, etc, would pretty much stay the same.

I don't think Zs will ever get to the point that the early 911s have though. Too many were made.

Too many were made but too many rusted away, the 240's.  The e-bay car, I would be guessing he is trying to appeal to the overseas market due to the line "will export"  Figure I sold the Scarab to a fellow in Norway where Z's are scarce and our USD doesn't scare off the individuals that are "better off" than most of the population.  This includes the remainder of Europe, Saudi Arabia, not so much in Mexico or South America, there are a LOT of eyes on Ebay, and it is one of the best outlets to market your car.  So is his price out of line?  Perhaps but if it is as clean an straight as he claims then it would probably be around a 12K car.  Remember us Z car guys are cheap skates ;)

Don't worry so much about it, if you search hard enough you can find a nice car that needs only minor work for a decent price. I picked up my 78 last year for 4k from a nice older couple that just didn't drive it anymore. Runs perfect almost zero rust and needs only minor cosmetic interior work.

I just hope they never find pictures of the things I have in store for it haha!

That's a great find in this part of the country. Where in NJ are you?

I know there will still be deals to be had, but it's harder to get my hands on them when they're 3000 miles away, since I'm competing with everyone local. Lost out on a great car last year. It didn't last 2 days. I had no chance. But I'll find a way to get myself a nice Datsun.

I know there will still be deals to be had, but it's harder to get my hands on them when they're 3000 miles away, since I'm competing with everyone local. Lost out on a great car last year. It didn't last 2 days. I had no chance. But I'll find a way to get myself a nice Datsun.

Transport is way less than rot repair FWIW 

Oh, definitely. Been there done that. I'm mostly looking in CA and AZ, and my plan is to ship it or drive it back. It's just a matter of finding the right car, checking it out (because I've bought sight unseen before and regretted it), and getting my name on the title before anyone else.

Edited by rturbo 930

Transport is way less than rot repair FWIW 

I bounce between the Clifton area and Edison. I actually picked the car up from south Carolina, original owners moved from Arizona to SC, shipping was pretty cheap and only took about 2 days to get to me. Montway was the company I used If anyone was wondering.

But I was searching for a good month, searched literally all of cragislist  south of Tennessee. Their out there, just takes time.