HybridZ

R200 Welded - Why?

12doplumbing

Is this R200 an LSD? It has stampings indicating its a 3.9 ratio. We went to service / change oil, after confirming gear ratio, and found the inner gearing/rings were welded. Looks like a good weld job; done in four places from what I can see through the opening -- on each half shaft spline ring and on each middle bridge ring.

Was this to get rid of the LSD headache? Some youngster wanted to peel out/drift easier?

Appreciate pros and cons and suggestions. Like, should I just restore what was here? Is it hard to swap this internal setup for 3.7 gearing? Costly?

post-44185-0-83824500-1398727256_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-59229200-1398727283_thumb.jpg

Some youngster wanted to peel out/drift easier?

That's about right. IMO a welded diff is worthless.

Your diff is not an LSD, and welding the diff is a very cheap way of making it into one. The downside is that the wheels can't turn independently anymore.

Edited by rturbo 930

With IRS the differential is not connected to the axle housing like a typical older American car.  So a differential swap usually just involves swapping the whole external case and everything with it, not just the guts.  Many times the back cover is not even removed.  It's not like a Ford or Chevy diff swap. Remove the four nuts holding those axles on to the diff, drop the axles, get a another diff, install it in the car, then bolt the axles back up.  After greasing the u-joints on the axles.  It's easy.

Saw your other post about "reverting" to a 3.54, and your posts on the other forum.  This should make your decision much easier.

I have no idea what being an IRS vs a live axle has to do with anything...

Also welding a diff does not turn it into an "LSD", It does however have the same effect as a spool. LSD still allows for each wheel to turn independently, such as when turning a corner. A spool does not, both wheels are locked together. You will usually feel one tire dragging and the car act a bit funny when turning a corner, with a spool.

These are often referred to as "Lincoln Lockers". :D

I've seriously considered doing this to mine, since I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for an R200 LSD. I haven't yet and will likely swap in a different diff, to get a cheaper (and possibly better suited) LSD and diff.

Guys from the world of old Chevys are used to removing the axles, and swapping the internals.  Example in the attached link.  The OP writes like he's thinking that way, like the Z diff swap is difficult.  He's working on a car for his 15 year old son, and is also thinking the "T5" is something special.  

Now you know.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/driveshaft_rearend/sucp_1208_10_bolt_differential_upgrade/

I'm very familiar with live axles, I was raised on them, I just don't see what it has to do with the conversation, and didn't see any sort of "specific thinking" from the OP. All I see is that he doesn't know about diffs (he would have known it was an open diff if he did), and was asking for clarification.

Also, R200LSD's are not so expensive...I just bought my OBX helical (much much nicer than the old ones) for 390$ delivered...Fit a solid spacer instead of those weak bellville springs and you've got the equal to a quaife.

Lots of drifters weld their diffs. It's the cheapest and easiest way to get more traction in the back wheels. The downside is already explained here... Your "regular" turning ability is decreased because the wheels are locked together. This will make your rear end squirrelly in corners (which is intentional on drift cars), but is pretty annoying in a daily driver. You'll also get dumb stuff like the wheels chirping in the back as you take a corner at 3mph in the parking lot.

If you're not putting down lots of power, or drive normally and never race, stick with the open diff. If you find yourself making "one tire fires" then go get an LSD.

Hey guys, finally found my way back here to review responses. Don know why my email wasn't notified of thread responses...

It's pretty funny -- my son wants the chirping, wants the drifting, beat me to the punch on attempting "something" with the rear end in order to accomplish this, etc.. I'm okay with it; allowing him to learn his lessons. He's a hard worker and wants to continue wrenching.

I am double checking the choices the guy we bought the whole package from chose; the turbo motor, the T5, the R200 3.9 "worthless" rear end. Been wanting to understand the choices and make sure they're as compatible and desirable as the other guy felt they were.

From what I gather the T5 is better suited for a 3.545 rear end (I'm looking for one). But it's not that big of deal, really, right?

He just bought 16"x10" rear wheels and 16x8 fronts, and some JDM flares. He really likes what other members have done and will learn to fix what he breaks

Appreciate the feedback.

post-44185-0-64305800-1399333170_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-73429500-1399333191_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-96471600-1399333203_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-79836200-1399333229_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-73238300-1399333241_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-31361300-1399333259_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-20364800-1399333279_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, finally found my way back here to review responses. Don know why my email wasn't notified of thread responses...

It's pretty funny -- my son wants the chirping, wants the drifting, beat me to the punch on attempting "something" with the rear end in order to accomplish this, etc.. I'm okay with it; allowing him to learn his lessons. He's a hard worker and wants to continue wrenching.

I am double checking the choices the guy we bought the whole package from chose; the turbo motor, the T5, the R200 3.9 "worthless" rear end. Been wanting to understand the choices and make sure they're as compatible and desirable as the other guy felt they were.

From what I gather the T5 is better suited for a 3.545 rear end (I'm looking for one). But it's not that big of deal, really, right?

He just bought 16"x10" rear wheels and 16x8 fronts, and some JDM flares. He really likes what other members have done and will learn to fix what he breaks

Appreciate the feedback.

I'm not into drifting, but from what I've read, his problem with an s30 is going to be in the steering angle. I would either research changing the geometry of the steering system or buy a cheap s13 or 14.

Edited by mattb3562

As a 20 year old with a turbo Z with a Tomei 2 way LSD, I can say that if I had this car when I was 15, the LSD would not only have given me a headache, but likely would've killed me.  You must be of a mature enough age to safely enjoy LSD.

the R200 3.9 "worthless" rear end. Been wanting to understand the choices and make sure they're as compatible and desirable as the other guy felt they were.

I think for drifting a 3.9 welded diff would be just what you want. And 3.6 to 3.9 is not that much difference. Chances are the 16" wheels may mean taller tires anyway which makes  the final ratio taller.

Put some good fluid in there and try it and see what happens. WARNING it will make the car tail happy especially in the rain.