HybridZ

RB25det Horrific Exhaust fumes

Vandergriff84

Has anyone heard of Carl H? Is he a member here? Someone told me that he can reprogram a stock ecu to work with small modifications. I would love to hear what others have to say about that and if it is a viable option for my setup.

I am willing to go the standalone route to get this thing running the way I want but I am going to have to save up a little. Has anyone used the stock turbo upgrades from Rawbrokerage? I like the idea of keeping the stock dump pipe and the stock look of the turbo.

Before you get too crazy tuning or sealing check for a couple things.

1. What is your A/F ratio ? If you don't have a wideband it would be good to get one especially if you are tuning.

2. Is your MAF working correctly ?  This could cause a bad A/F Ratio

3. Without a Catalytic converter your car will smell much different.

4. Are you getting soot on or around your tailpipe ? If so this is an easy check for a super rich condition.

5. Finally check and recheck for vacuum leaks. this can cause issues as well.

6. Are you running an aftermarket FPR ? Is it hooked up right and at the right pressure ?

7. As long as the PVC system is not leaking I wouldn't worry. I have even run some open to atmosphere and the smell wasn't noticeable

Don't throw money at an ECU or tuning until you have determined the cause of your problem. Fix the Rich condition then go from there.

Then once you know the problem you can fix it and seal up your car.

Hope that helps

Chris

Ok, So answers as follows:

1. AFR is right at upper 14s to lower 15s while Idling and while driving normal. Under boost it may drop to upper 11s.

2. From what the consult shows the maf seems to be working fine.

3. I don't have a Catalytic as I have the 3" exhaust from McKinney Motor Sports.

4. There is Black soot around the end of the tailpipe.

5. I have checked for vacuum leaks and have found none.

6. I have the stock FPR which tested at around 43psi and I believe that is the correct stock pressure.

7. As far as I know the PCV is connected just like stock.

The consensus from the few guys that I have spoken to locally is that the freddy intake along with the lack of back pressure from the 3" exhaust without a Catalytic is throwing the ECU off. What confuses me is that the numbers on my wideband look good, at least as far as my knowledge goes. Is it possible that the exhaust is that much more potent with the lack of a Catalytic converter? I would appreciate any input on what the wideband should be showing as I have never had one before. I can take a video if that would help.

I did do some work on sealing the back of the car last weekend but it didn't seem to help any. I haven't messed with the car this week as I am giving my sinuses some time to heal and recover. 

So I worked on sealing the back of the car some more today as I found a couple of new areas that it could be leaking in through. I also installed the BRE style spoiler which doesn't really fit right, but neither does the bumpers or the flares from MSA so that's not new. I think I made some progress as far as the fumes being pulled in through the back as it seems that it has diminished quite a bit. I can still smell it a little here and there and my nose has been a little stopped up since I drove it around the block but it is still a good step in the right direction. I took a picture of the tailpipe to show the soot.

post-22897-0-87155000-1399781027_thumb.jpg

post-22897-0-17799100-1399781051_thumb.jpg