HybridZ

Urethane Steering Coupler Bushing Difference

I've noticed two different urethane steering coupler bushings being sold, one with all eight holes filled with metal sleeves and the other only shipping with four sleeves.

I purchased the Prothane #14-701 and it came with four sleeves.  Yet I see the Energy Suspension unit comes with all eight sleeves.

So whats the deal with this difference?

Stock on left and Prothane right:

IMAG0258_zpsdc784dbf.jpg

Energy Suspension:

7160101R_lg.jpg

I am running the 8 hole Energy one on my steering nuckle.  I replaced those and the steering rack while the motor was out.  You just need to make sure if you do that the 8 that it lines everything up correctly.

I've noticed two different urethane steering coupler bushings being sold, one with all eight holes filled with metal sleeves and the other only shipping with four sleeves.

I purchased the Prothane #14-701 and it came with four sleeves.  Yet I see the Energy Suspension unit comes with all eight sleeves.

So whats the deal with this difference?

Stock on left and Prothane right:

IMAG0258_zpsdc784dbf.jpg

Energy Suspension:

7160101R_lg.jpg

The eight sleeves are actually two sets of four with two different IDs to properly fit two different size bolts depending on what vehicle you use them in.  You can see it in the pic, although apparently the photographer didn't and had the two sets mixed. :rolleyes:

I had the "four sleeve" solution too, and had to sleeve the sleeves to get the proper id for the Z's bolts (you could probably also source proper sleeves from McMaster).

Also, get some of the silicone bushing grease for this - it didn't occur to me that I would need it for this part, and I was plagued with creaky feeling steering, especially at low speeds.  Greasing and proper sized bushings cured this.  It took me a while to figure out that it was the bushing - I thought my steering rack/tie rods were screwed up at first!

Finally, it probably wouldn't hurt to put the unused bushings in the other 4 holes to increase the stiffness of the bushing...

Edited by TimZ

The eight sleeves are actually two sets of four with two different IDs to properly fit two different size bolts depending on what vehicle you use them in.  You can see it in the pic, although apparently the photographer didn't and had the two sets mixed. :rolleyes:

I had the "four sleeve" solution too, and had to sleeve the sleeves to get the proper id for the Z's bolts (you could probably also source proper sleeves from McMaster).

Also, get some of the silicone bushing grease for this - it didn't occur to me that I would need it for this part, and I was plagued with creaky feeling steering, especially at low speeds.  Greasing and proper sized bushings cured this.  It took me a while to figure out that it was the bushing - I thought my steering rack/tie rods were screwed up at first!

Finally, it probably wouldn't hurt to put the unused bushings in the other 4 holes to increase the stiffness of the bushing...

Looks like I'll have to pull the bushing out again to lube it up.  Thanks for the info!