HybridZ

A musician's therapist (The $300 Z)

Make sure that the noises you are hearing are loose joints. Datsun wasn't concerned much about NVH at the time. If you remember when we were driving in you car I asked about the rear end noise you could hear on the highway, that has as bit of a clunk if you stand in and out of the throttle. The car has I direct connection engine to trans to duff to hub. Each of the gearsets has a bit of backlash and it can stack up. Worn U-joints can certainly add to that. 

First big arrival is herespacer.png :)

Everyone and their mom has seen the gen 2 mini so I didn't bother with photos. I'm excited about how much lighter it is than origin components, but I'm more excited about how nice the controls feel. The brushed aluminum look is nice but seems to suit American restomods more, and the old style levers I wasn't a fan of since they'd require a lot of work to fit. This should slot nicely right where the original controls were

I opted for these as they're most in line with the OEM+ look I'm going for with everything. They have super satisfying motion and clicks between positions. Will need to figure out a good way to mount once the unit is in since the 280 controls were mounted directly to the original heater core and not to the removable plate on the dash. 

20201005_142440.jpg

20201005_142451.jpg

Edited by Zetsaz

On 10/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, jpndave said:

Nice! I love those simple classy controllers. If I didn't have my heart set on climate control I would for sure use that one.

I considered it, but between the cost and reflecting how I use the climate control in the Infiniti I figured for most situations I'm a "set it and forget it" person so this will be fine

On 10/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, jpndave said:

Nice! I love those simple classy controllers. If I didn't have my heart set on climate control I would for sure use that one.

Climate control meaning set it to a temp and let the controller figure out the rest? What are you using for that?

Apex rear control arms arrived today! Got good communication from Ohm,and I sprang for them after asking about set backs and his honesty about new products and outsourced axles being the main set back. Products like this are in stock. They shipped last Sunday but I got cheap shipping so they only just now arrived. Vary satisfied with how everything was packaged and I got a prime example of their new packaging on hardware to make sure everything is included. All in all, I really like these and I'm happy to support small businesses making parts for these cars. 

Plus! The best part about new parts... Free stickers haha

20201013_105829.jpg

20201013_105850.jpg

20201013_100120.jpg

Edited by Zetsaz

7 hours ago, Jboogsthethug said:

Dude those look awesome! When are you installing them??

Probably by this weekend. Back end is already on jack stands and taken apart, have just been a bit lazy finishing up other stuff. 

Well, we're getting extensive rain this weekend, but I'm fairly determined to get the back end put together even if I can't do the Vintage Air this weekend. We'll see how far I get. i moved the Z over to the more elevated side of my carport but it remains to be seen how wet things will be. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a reprieve from the rain and took advantage. Control arms are in. Whole assembly is very adjustable so it's now in desparate need of an alignment. 

Was having a rough time with the C Clips on the half shafts. Took them to a shop and they said they'd basically have to go to a machine shop. They're basically chemically welded from the rust at this point. I could grind them off, but considering I only found play in one joint and it was almost completely unnoticeable, back in they went. They'll be staying as is until maybe spring. Would rather spend the money and effort just going straight to CVs at this point 

20201024_153652.jpg

20201024_153547.jpg

Alignment done today. Left side was WAY out but somehow I got the right rear dead on.

Found out one of my local datsun friends did the alignments at a Les Schwab nearby and got it done through him. He took the time to pull the spindle pin for the rear of each control arm to ensure we got the toe as close as possible. Camber all got suprisingly close too! All of it ranges from about ~ -1.3 in the front to ~ -1.5-1.8 in the rear. My current ride height is perfect and doesn't need excessive negative camber for good clearance, but it seems like the rear right tire has been rubbing slightly on the lip on the way out of hte carport, so I'll probably do a mild roll on the back for better clearance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Weather is getting colder by the day and I think I've just had the last few moderate days of driving for a while. Time to start fixing small things (as in... My hands won't fit in these small spaces!) 

Pulled the dash tonight to start working on the vintage air... It's even less room to work with despite being the gen 2 mini. 

20201109_200629.jpg

I'm debating weather or not to move the ECU over to the passenger side while I have everything out and it's easier to access, but for now the focus is on the Vintage Air and some patches of Dynamat on the most resonant spots of the firewall. 

New bumpers are also ordered! Odds and ends I need are finding some firewall AC bulkheads I like that'll fit the AC hoses I have, and figuring out how I'll get the hoses inside routed

Edited by Zetsaz

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered more things with some light black friday sales.

-Odd ball parts I needed from Zcardepot, including the missing passenger side tail light rubber that was unavailable this summer.

-Skillard window rubber wipe kit

-Headliner and roof/pillar trim kit from MSA, as well as a fender cover for when I'm working on the car.

Bumpers have apparenty been stuck at port, still waiting on Datsun Garage to ship. Will be checking in with them this week.

Debating how much I really need CVs right now with Futofab having 20% (15?) off, vs front control arms that I need to finish correcting the caster. 

Well... That was entirely too much time spent making 3 very basic brackets. Thought at first they'd just be templates to get the right fit, but considering they'll be totally out of sight and I'm not making nicer attachment points on the firewall like all the bracket madness the guys at project Binky get up to... I'm going to call this good. 

20201128_151630.jpg

20201128_151307.jpg

24 minutes ago, jpndave said:

Looking good Omar! 

Thank you! I'm really hoping I can get to the wiring portion of things tomorrow, but there's still so much left the more I look at it. Still need to modify the center exit. 

I'm almost tempted to finally buy a 3D printer and design some things. If I could redesign the stock defrost pieces and the center vent the install would be much cleaner