HybridZ

My widened 240Z

Boben

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Narrow up that rear end, or get different wheels. Trying to stretch tires and stuff those up in there is going to look awful, and after the really really good body work you've done don't let something as simple as wheel fitment screw it up.

• 1 month later...

Narrow up that rear end, or get different wheels. Trying to stretch tires and stuff those up in there is going to look awful, and after the really really good body work you've done don't let something as simple as wheel fitment screw it up.

I ran into trouble fitting the 9" wide wheels with the brake calibers in place. Turns out the GTR double piston calibers come too much out and hit the rim already without any tweaking of the offset. With all the trouble with the fitment of these rims, I decided to try out the 8" wide rims, that were meant for the front. They clear the the caliber and the alignment with the fender is perfect. I can probably get away with some rolling of the inner lip. This will do for now, although I would have really wanted wider rims. I guess I'll just rethink the 3-piece rims someday. 

post-32042-0-99157300-1404765363_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-06401400-1404765387_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-99125900-1404765412_thumb.jpg

Yes, I am aware of this and propably will go the custom three piece road someday. There is a good amount of back space, the GTR axle just don't allow for much lip on the rim or an ET typical for an RWD. The back space might allow for a 10" wide rim with a suitable offset.

• 1 month later...

I've been planning a very similar approach to widen my z and everybody keeps telling me i'm going to ruin the cars body lines. So glad i saw this, i was planning on going 3 inches out but luckily i found this post, 2 looks great very subtle. 3 inches could have killed it. Sorry in advance for cramping your style if i go this route.  :D

Oh and about the bumper i was planning on extending the center like others have posted, but whichever way you go i'm sure it'll look great.

Edited by 73FairladyZDriver

I want to see this thing painted!

Me too!

The amount of work this modification requires is damn near overwhelming. I wish I had more spare time to commit to this built...

I decided to ditch the rear bumper and sheet metaled the holes. I guess you could say I reached a certain miles stone now, since all the sheet metal work of the visible surface just got finished. All of it related to the body widening anyways. I still need to figure out what to do with the bumper fixing points on the rear and seal up the nasty exhaust pipe opening.

Paint will still have to wait, though. At least the fuel cell mounts and the trunk floor will need to be fabricated along with the seat mounts before I coat her with some epoxy primer.

Here are some pics of the progress:

post-32042-0-29718300-1408743514_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-49296200-1408743616_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-98142600-1408743652_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-73074700-1408743721_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-25322500-1408743766_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-81975800-1408743841_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-24231100-1408743929_thumb.jpg

Me too!

The amount of work this modification requires is damn near overwhelming. I wish I had more spare time to commit to this built...

I decided to ditch the rear bumper and sheet metaled the holes. I guess you could say I reached a certain miles stone now, since all the sheet metal work of the visible surface just got finished. All of it related to the body widening anyways. I still need to figure out what to do with the bumper fixing points on the rear and seal up the nasty exhaust pipe opening.

Paint will still have to wait, though. At least the fuel cell mounts and the trunk floor will need to be fabricated along with the seat mounts before I coat her with some epoxy primer.

Here are some pics of the progress:

I can't wait to see some more updates! This is by far my favorite thread so far and it's looking amazing!

• 2 weeks later...