HybridZ

240z steering wheel on 260z/280z

I am about to do this mod as well. Bfg, a couple questions. You said the 240 wire should not be hanging out, but in your pic it is. What exactly did you do with the 240 wire? And did you leave the spring contact that sits on the column so it has contact with the wheel? Thanks for the write up.

Edited by 2sixTZombii

Sorry I should have been a little more clear. That link is not my write up.

On mine I was able to take the 240z horn mechanism bits and switch it out with the 280z parts. My only problem now is that the foam horn button doesn't fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s how I made mine work:

First I traced the electrical path.  The positive connection (the rubbing contactor on the steering column) goes through the contactor ring on the bottom of the steering wheel.  The 240Z contactor ring has a wire soldered to it which passes up through the steering wheel.  This wire has to be connected to the metal plate in the 260Z/280Z horn button.  When the button is pressed, the metal plate to which the horn button is attached, contacts the edge of the steering wheel hub and thus is grounded.  Sounds simple, but it took me a week to figure out how to make it work in the real world.

First, make the attachment plate discussed above.

Second, to make the electrical connection to the horn button, I had to make a slot in the horn button for the wire to pass through.  Without the slot, the wire was squashed between the horn button and its attachment piece.

Here is a picture showing the final assembly:

post-18683-0-50376000-1401816216_thumb.jpg

Jim

• 2 months later...

Hey Jim, I know its been a couple months but if I could pick your brain..... I see that both you and thye guy in the above blog used two screws to secure the custom mounting plate. It looks for for all the world that those two screws would interfere with the nut that tightens down to hold the steering wheel. Did the nut clear? And couldn't you just tighten the nut down once installed to hold the plate in place. Also I thought you might be able to completely remove the little wire from the contact plate and run the spring from the 280 wheel in the hole the the wire would have come up through, so it would function just the 280 wheel already did? Hopefully you followed that. I even wonder if you could use the 280 contact plate?

Edited by 2sixTZombii