HybridZ

LED tail lights

Here's a blank one for you guys to copy and fill in .

post-11413-0-64257000-1400356418_thumb.jpg

Side emitting LED strips just came in . I'll be doing running lights soon , going with option " A " .

Please post your ideas on turn signal and brake . Keep in mind , my sequential module ( for turn signal ) can only drive 3 LED sections/groups . My friend suggested doing starburst turn signal but I don't think there's enough room on the lens for that .

Edited by Domzs

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey that looks pretty good, you may be onto something. =)

I was one of the first guys in the states (seen a few in japan do it at the time) to fit trailer LED lights into my old rx7, it was fairly easy, just cutting out the circuit board and gluing them in place pretty much. I actually painted over the inside LEDS black just so i could get the halo look. Lasted til i parted the car out when i blew the engine and couldn't afford to rebuild , since than sold the tail lights to a friend who still runs them daily on his rx7. 

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1.0-9/23451_381133193556_4180984_n.jpg

Edited by Hypertek

Running lights are done . Still have enough LEDs left to do another set or two .

post-11413-0-80769500-1400447470_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-69581800-1400447540_thumb.jpg

Turn and brake ideas .

post-11413-0-20801000-1400447650_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-91966900-1400447683_thumb.jpg

Need some ideas , people . I'm thinking round so I can have sequential turn signal .  And with round LEDs , I can cut out face plates with any shape or pattern .

Will be using light bars , since I already have them , for brake lights . Turn signal will sequential with round LEDs .

Here are 3 patterns that I'm thinking for the face plates . Please vote .

A .

post-11413-0-15900300-1400467573_thumb.jpg

B .

post-11413-0-02506400-1400467608_thumb.jpg

C .

post-11413-0-12391000-1400467634_thumb.jpg

Here's a blank one for your design .

post-11413-0-80443800-1400467706_thumb.jpg

I like driver side , mainly because its more of a difference from the original look

That would be too easy to do .  :-D  . I need to work my brain . Driver side is on the table if I can't get the sequential module to work with the pass. side design . Trying to do a starburst/sequential turn signal , haven't seen anything like that on the road .

I installed a 3rd brake light from a Safari van on my hatch. I know it's saved my ass end a couple of times now.

The Z31 trim is too wide for the S30 (I have or at least had one to try).

1073_10152160823585051_1397353973_n.jpg

Nice . With mod , I can make it work . Going to save it for my S130 or my 84 Z31T .

What do you guys think about dimmer effect as suggested by Pharaohabq ? The running lights , at the moment ,  are very bright , more like brake lights . The more I look at them , I like them the way they are without adding anymore LEDs . Thinking of dimming the LEDs for running and full power for turn/brake . Did that earlier with an inline 120 ohm resistor , cut the light output over half ( still visible ) .

Running lights .

Side emitting LED strips , $45 for 5m w/ 600 LEDs .

attachicon.gifSDC12559.JPG

Cut to fit lenses .

attachicon.gifSDC12560.JPG

Soldered wires .

attachicon.gifSDC12574.JPG

Peeled tape and installed .

attachicon.gifSDC12634.JPG

Added power and enjoy . :-D

attachicon.gifSAM_0005.JPG

FWIW I just used the non-side emitting LED strips, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Strip-light-Waterproof-Flexible-Light/dp/B005EHHLD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400941154&sr=8-1&keywords=led+lights+strip+for+cars

...and mounted them to a piece of thin aluminum sheet that I had cut to fit the inside of each taillight opening.  Here's how those came out - not quite as fancy as a couple of ideas in this thread, but I'm really happy with how they turned out:

Z+on+road.jpg

When the parking lights are on as they are in this pic, the upper and lower centers light up for brake and turn signals.  When the parking lights are off, the whole upper and lower light up for brake and turn.  I did something similar with the side marker lights and added turn signal capability to them, and of course I also did the backup lights.  

No more 35 year old dim lighting!

Edited by TimZ

FWIW I just used the non-side emitting LED strips, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Strip-light-Waterproof-Flexible-Light/dp/B005EHHLD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400941154&sr=8-1&keywords=led+lights+strip+for+cars

...and mounted them to a piece of thin aluminum sheet that I had cut to fit the inside of each taillight opening.  Here's how those came out - not quite as fancy as a couple of ideas in this thread, but I'm really happy with how they turned out:

Z+on+road.jpg

When the parking lights are on as they are in this pic, the upper and lower centers light up for brake and turn signals.  When the parking lights are off, the whole upper and lower light up for brake and turn.  I did something similar with the side marker lights and added turn signal capability to them, and of course I also did the backup lights.  

No more 35 year old dim lighting!

They look pretty good . I bought 2 rolls of regular LED strips , not too happy with LED spacing , too far apart IMO . I like the way the perimeter lights turned out with side emitting strips . Just not sure if I want anymore LEDs in the center , do love the idea of sequential turn signal .