HybridZ

Inner Fender - Headlight/Wiring Protector (splash guard)

I have a 76 280z, with no sort of inner fender protection for the headlight and wiring forward of the wheels. I imagine that water, dirt, and stones get thrown at high velocity toward the headlights and wiring and have always wondered if my 76 came stock with some better protection, IE plastic bolt on cover. After looking through various forums it appears that there were plastic liners from 1978 and up, (I believe #79 & 80 in one of the microfiches I saw).

Do most guys run without these and let the elements splash up against the headlight bucket etc? Or am I just in the dark on this and should really be investing in this before I kill the wiring and the headlight gaskets etc.

My 77 had them. The driver side fender was replaced at one point, but the liner was missing. It was hard to find one in good condition but someone on here got me a set. The new set's passenger side was beat up but I just needed the driver's side.

I ran without them. Never had an issue with them not running. if I rememer my s30 correctly, the socket is within the headlight bucket, so it's really just the wires. If you're paranoid or go offroading then put like 3 looms over the wiring and silicone/hot glue the joints were it goes through to the headlight and fender

Thanks for the input

I ran without them. Never had an issue with them not running. if I rememer my s30 correctly, the socket is within the headlight bucket, so it's really just the wires. If you're paranoid or go offroading then put like 3 looms over the wiring and silicone/hot glue the joints were it goes through to the headlight and fender

I think i'm with you on this, I'm not too worried about it and have just made sure the wires and joints are sealed. Was just curious if other people had the same take on it or not.

Does anyone know if the bolts that hold them on are all in the same place for every year: It would be nice if someone with fiberglass skills could repop them if they were all the same, Then it would be easy to mod slightly for flares, etc.

Our cars did have them from the factory, however after 36+ years the plastic becomes very brittle and chances are all the attachment points have broken off. Most don't seem to have any issue running without them (I removed mine about a year ago after rolling the fenders, though simply removing them cracked them to the point of being unusable). With that said, there's certainly no harm in making a replacement, and if you do, be sure to post it!

I need a vacuum former.  All these plastic parts you can't find anymore would be so nice to be able to recreate.  My 78 has them but some of the bolt holes to hold them on are cracked out.  my 70 doesn't have them nor the mounting bolt holes.

• 3 weeks later...

I was out visiting my 260z parts car and stumbled on this. Driver side head light protector thing-of-a-bobber. Pictures are of front and back of same piece.

My 260z doesn't have mounting points so I have no need for it. If someone out there could use it to fab new pieces to benefit all I would be willing to give it up for just the cost of shipping.

Thanks Danielpost-44346-0-24073000-1401633096_thumb.jpgpost-44346-0-43317600-1401633122_thumb.jpg

I believe the fender liners started in '74. Every '73 and previous I have looked at, in stock-ish form, including my own '73 did not have fender liners nor holes to mount them. I bought a '74 parts car that had them and they appeared to be stock, since there were a couple welded on brackets to hold the ends of them. They are different than the later fender liners in that they only sit inside the fender and do not clip to the fender wheel well lip. A friend of mine had the later ones on his '71 and replaced them with the ones from my '74 because of the lack of wheel well lip clips. IIRC the holes for mounting were in slightly different positions too.