HybridZ

'73 6.2 LS3 Crate Build *Lots of Pics*

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not use all LS1 accessories including the water pump and alternator and be done with it. No spacers needed.

I use the ls3 water pump with spacers cause it gives me 2+" more space for my turbo. He was asking how to adapt the ls3 wp, so I gave him the info on how I did it.

Got it, makes sense, the LS3 pump is shorter than the LS1 pump. If clearance is not his concern I would send that LS3 pump back and get and LS1 pump. My LS3 motor has all LS1 accessories and they line up perfectly without any issues.

I'd love to be able to send it back, but when I bought the crate engine this is what I got with it. Just trying to spend the least amount of money to get things working. A spacer seemed cheaper than buying a new water pump.

I'll have a look at the pump when I get home to see of it's the same as that. They all look so similar lol.

Thanks again for the info, So should I go with the 2004 corvette tensioner or just get a 2000 camaro tensioner?

Thanks again everyone.

I've got another guy semi local, who is doing LS2 swap. He's got an LS2 corvette pan and it's significantly more shallow than mine. From my research here people seem to use the LS1 fbody pan typically.

What are people's opinion? Which would be better to go with? I know the LS2

Corvette pan he has is up above the steering rack, is the LS1 fbody pan also like that?

Here's a pic of my LS3 pan... Lol.

8C3B3836-9A1E-4AEB-84C7-65C9F7DB4CDB-263

7A4CE1D6-E54B-4664-9ECC-15B7B89A287C-263

The F body pan and the "bat wing" pan are similar in the front so that will help.  The Vette pan is wider at the rear and more baffled, logic was Camaro guys are more straight line and vette guys are more curvy.  With the forward exhaust the vette pan should be OK.  Make no promises but it is very shallow, which is good.  HTH, Richard. 

The F body pan and the "bat wing" pan are similar in the front so that will help. The Vette pan is wider at the rear and more baffled, logic was Camaro guys are more straight line and vette guys are more curvy. With the forward exhaust the vette pan should be OK. Make no promises but it is very shallow, which is good. HTH, Richard.

Ls2 vette pan is NOT the batwing pan you are thinking of. That's only the ls1/6 vette. Ls2 vette pan runs a shallow pickup but the downside is with the JCI kit, it cannot be removed while the engine is in the car. The camaro pan can be.

For dimensions on most of the popular sizes, check out http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/LS-oil-pan-dimensions.php

For the tensioner, you need a corvette tensioner. This is due to the shifted position of the water pump, which the tensioner bolts on to.

That pan you have currently is WAY too low btw. Even the ls1 camaro pan is about 2" shorter than the one you currently have. I run the ls1 pan and even after coming down from monster wheelies and driving 20+k miles, it doesn't have any scratches.

Oh trust me I know the pan is way to shallow. Just pushing it out of my garage, which has VERY little slope I crushed my oil filter. My car is DUMPED. If LS2 pan can't be taken off with JCI mounts that makes my decision a lot easier.

Ok, so I get a corvette tensioner due to the shape of my water pump? And just to reconfirm.. I want a 2004 corvette (z06 or base) tensioner? This will clear my LS3 water pump and give me LS1 spacing?

Now I just need to get a picture of my water pump so you guys can confirm if those spacers will work for me.

I feel like I'm making some progress with your guys' help. My project went stagnant for a while, but with your guidance I'm getting some motivaton to get back at it.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Sorry for the barrage of questions today, but like I said earlier I'm excited about my car again and want to get shit done!

I've got a friend of a friend with a 2001 LS1 camaro who just bought a new water pump for his car. If I traded him the one off my car, this one would just bolt right on and give me the correct spacing?

Also if I get his water pump does that mean I could also just buy an LS1 camaro tensioner? This route seems like it would be a good bit cheaper for me!

Sorry for the barrage of questions today, but like I said earlier I'm excited about my car again and want to get shit done!

I've got a friend of a friend with a 2001 LS1 camaro who just bought a new water pump for his car. If I traded him the one off my car, this one would just bolt right on and give me the correct spacing?

Also if I get his water pump does that mean I could also just buy an LS1 camaro tensioner? This route seems like it would be a good bit cheaper for me!

Correct! If you don't need space and have an ls1 pump available, go for it. Then you can just use an ls1 camaro tensioner. If you want a new pump my friend sells them for $65 plus shipping, but I don't know how good that price is. (It's Chinese, but good quality)

If you keep the short water pump, any corvette tensioner will work, ls1 or 6

• 1 month later...

Well thanks to help from you guys I've got my alternator in. I've got my engine harness installed(engine bay side. Still under dash to do)

0A175EAC-6A06-4B29-8858-41E58DD8B60D-322

Finished up my fueling. Lines run, mounts made and installed.

2DDC7A1F-BDB3-4F6D-BD86-F58D4EFDB4FF-322

7E44D59E-FCCC-4C9A-B898-7576BCE6C331-322

5A94B522-DFD5-4E1A-861F-2800795CBFE5-322

So I believe all I need to do now is put in fuel pump relay and ignition relay and I believe I can start the car. Will be a while doing gauges I imagine.

Any advice for wiring the car?

Where did you guys grab your power from? Fuse block?

Thanks again!

Well I bought a power distribution block I think it was designed for car audio but should work for me it's got fuse holders in it as well.

What I did I mounted battery in the back(not mounted yet) but I've got 0ga wire running from battery to my distribution block (under passenger dash) then from there I've got a fused 4ga running to starter and 8ga from starter to alternator. Hopefully that's fine.

What I'm wondering tho is where is the best place to take my accessory power for my fuel pump relay and beat place to grab ignition power for my ignition relay.

Just Siamese off any "ignition hot" wire and use that wire as a signal wire for a relay equipped fuse block. Then you can run the power straight off the battery to that fuse block, but it is only hot when the ignition wire activates it. Just have a buddy turn the key on and off while you probe around for the ignition on wire that is easiest to get to.

Quick question..

Do you guys run a relay for your starter? Or can I use the (if memory serves the green/yellow wire) that is only hot during cranking for my starter solenoid? And run that wire directly to solenoid and should I install a fuse for just the starter?

I was thinking my new ignition relay was for my starter, but is ignition relay actually for spark plugs/injectors maybe? I think the document said it wanted switched power and cranking power, so that wouldn't make sense for a starter in my mind.

My fuel pump relay I used this same wire, switched power and crank power, is that how you guys did fuel pump as well?

Thanks again!

I'm using a PSIconversions harness (if that matters)

Edit: also my fuel pump relays coil looks like it's supplied by the ECU, I think it was a green and black wire on their harness. I was expecting to wire the coil myself, but I guess the ECU needs to know if fuel pump is running? Sorry just a but confused hoping someone with more experience can help sort me out.

Edited by B5BiTurbo