HybridZ

z car vs celica liftback

Haniel20

I hear mixed things from different forums, you guys on this site dont suger coat things which one was faster back in the days, I mean faster in 1/8, 1/4 racing, auto coarse, and everything else.basically how did the compete vs eachother.

You're kidding right? You mean like a 75 Celica RA27 or that?

It was no competition, and it still isn't today they were two different classes of machines.

Toyota wanted a sports car, they got the Celica. Running gear of a Corona/Corolla/etc... Lots of Noise and Sounds, not a lot of motion.

This coming from someone who owned a 75 Celica GT Liftback (with the most powerful DOHC N/A engine Toyota offered, from a GSS Corolla: 18RG-R) AND a 1975 S30(S) both less than 10 years from new off the dealer's floor, both as stock as stock can be (The Celica had an engine change after going through the torture test I did on my S11 Sylvia and the engine locked up...couldn't hack it.)

If wive's opinions count my wife HATED the Celica, as much as I enjoyed it as a diversion toy... and called me one day asking "How Fast is 140 KPH?" When I asked why, she said "The Z just seems to get quiet and like running there..."

Compare a Sylvia and a Celica. As much as Toyota wanted a Sports Car, they made a Sedan.... and it wasn't anywhere NEAR what the Z was until after Celica XX days split the line and dropped 'Celica' and changed to 'Supra'... But that wasn't for 20 years or so...

I'm not much of an expert on Celicas, but the first gen Celica weighed about as much as a 240z and had half the horsepower. I've always loved the look of the first gen, especially the liftback, but the engines they offered were anemic.

Im asking because on classic celica they said they can whoop on z's. But I owned a 280zx semi built and I dnt see how a celica can keep up, even my father that owned a celica in his day told me no way a celica can keep up.but no offense a liftback with a 2jzgte sounds nice and also a 240z with a rb26 sound like a great match up.

Im asking because on classic celica they said they can whoop on z's. But I owned a 280zx semi built and I dnt see how a celica can keep up, even my father that owned a celica in his day told me no way a celica can keep up.but no offense a liftback with a 2jzgte sounds nice and also a 240z with a rb26 sound like a great match up.

Z's were winning lots of races in various categories in their heyday, books were written, other race teams hated Z's...just saying

Yeah man I loved my z it was my first car at 16 about 5 years ago I wish I never sold it.but im in the process of looking for a s30 and swap a rb25.i was just wondering cause im not going to lie the celica liftback was a very good looking car I really wouldnt mind having a celica with a 1jz swap.

The Celica, ON PAPER looks great. in the JDM they had 130 HP --- same as a 2.0 Fairlady Z. But it was no contest.

What do you expect on a fanboy website? 

Like I said, I owned BOTH with BOTH purchased from their original owners in the early 80's. The Celica Liftback was a nice car, but it was no Z. In fact, my buddy with a 2+2 got rid of his Celica to get that 2+2...

Just no comparison. Regardless of the fanboy claims. 'Whoop'? Riiiiight!

Back in '89 I had an orange '77 Celica liftback. Put in a 22R, header, sidedrafts, headwork, etc. Test drove an all stock '73 240Z and there was no comparison even with the modded Celica. Have owned a Z of some sort since. Not even in the same league AFAIK.

I do like the look of the old Celica , kinda like a miniature Boss Mustang . I'm looking for one to do some kind of motor swap , LS1 or Ford 5.0 ( old ) .

im looking for one to to stick a 7mgte it bolts on but if I decide to go all out ill go 1jz or 2jz.

If you're going to replace the motor and build a rocket then the Z is the one to use - bigger engine compartment means room for bigger motor. As they say: "There is no replacement for displacement." You can talk 1jz, 2jz, rb25, rb26, etc., but how does that compare to a twin turbo 5.3 LM7? I'm just sayin'.

If you're going to replace the motor and build a rocket then the Z is the one to use - bigger engine compartment means room for bigger motor. As they say: "There is no replacement for displacement." You can talk 1jz, 2jz, rb25, rb26, etc., but how does that compare to a twin turbo 5.3 LM7? I'm just sayin'.

Amen to that . :-D

The proper comparison is not a 4 cylinder celica liftback vs a Z car but rather a celica supra vs a Z  car.

The celica supra is still way low on horsepower vs weight as compared to the Z car of the same years and once the celica supra got into 174hp territory, the zx was in turboland.

I believe the original poster's friend is referencing a built first generation celica supra liftback with a built 7mgte but even that is an uphill battle against a similarly modified Z car of the same vintage.

There's a reason Nissan has all the race wins.

The proper comparison is not a 4 cylinder celica liftback vs a Z car but rather a celica supra vs a Z  car.

The celica supra is still way low on horsepower vs weight as compared to the Z car of the same years and once the celica supra got into 174hp territory, the zx was in turboland.

I believe the original poster's friend is referencing a built first generation celica supra liftback with a built 7mgte but even that is an uphill battle against a similarly modified Z car of the same vintage.

There's a reason Nissan has all the race wins.

na im speaking of the first gen celica liftback which were made in the u.s from 76-77 only, im just saying it would be a nice ride with the right swap, im not gonna lie I would love to have a 2 car garage with both a celica liftback and a s30.but you guys here have good points, and also thanks for the advice not to follow the website fanboys.

Actually there was a RHD 73 Liftback for sale on Okinawa for $4300... Skinny bumper, much better looking than the later models with the 5mph bumpers. Lighter as well!

The hot ticket is the 240hp Honda mill and tranny. Bolt-in respectability!

Though a UZ would be nice. Rode in the Rocky Auto UZ powered box skyline... It would be acceptable in an early Celica!

In the 90's it wasn't uncommon to see the DOHC from the Celica GT (18RG) in the engine bay of a P510!

That's actually a better match of what it really was. . . It was NEVER a Z, more like a 510... but that could have been an RT43 Corona, Corolla, etc....

Toyota made a lot of sedans, but the 2000GT was their only real sports car in that same period. And it was generally acknowledged that after that fight while out drinking one night...and Yamaha shoping the design to Toyota that it was 'the Z that never was'!

That is a more valid comparo...save that they went to market with it, and Nissan learned the lesson about an overpriced, underpeforming Japanese Sports Car in the world market. 

"They Fixed That" and introduced the Z with slightly better commercial success. Kinda like the L210 compared to the Toyopet in the late 50's.... haw haw haw!