HybridZ

R200(240SX) short nose LSD into R200 long nose

logr

I have an 1989 3.9 R200 long nose.

I need a good reliable LSD and I want CV's if possible.

I bought an OS Giken NS046-HA LSD for a short nose R200. It is for a 1991 240SX open diff. I have used this diff numerous times in SX cars up to 450whp with good results so I wanted to see if it would go in a long nose.

I put on new carrier bearings and used the original shims in the same locations. The ring gear bolts are smaller than the holes in the LSD but it is hubcentric so I just bolted it on. I have done this on SX diffs numerous times with no issues. There are spacers available if this worries you. The backlash and preload were within specs.

First thing I noticed was the thick spacer is on opposite sides in the 2 diffs.

This had me worried since the stub shafts are interchangeable between the 3 (280Z, 240SX, Z31ZXT). I tried these stub shafts in all 3 diffs.

The groove is slightly wider on the SX stubs so I widened the groove on the Z31 shafts. They worked and locked in either way but the Z31's were very hard to get back out and a wider groove with slightly rounded edges matched the SX grooves better.

I bought the Z31 axle shafts and flanges from Checkered Flag Joe. They are very beefy. It was no big deal to change shafts. Pull the c clip on the outboard end. Knock the inboard end off by hitting on the race. Change shafts and put it back together.

The flanges are much heavier than stock and a tighter fit on the stock 280Z stub axles but went on with minimum fuss.

The Giken's are very good and tunable diffs. They drive like stock, with no chattering, on the street but hook up great. They have 20 or so discs. Actually the steels and clutches are all steels but it works. I use Redline NS oil in them for the first 300 miles and then change to Giken fluid. It is very spendy.

I couldn't find if this would work or not so thought I would share my experience.

It works.

Be sure to use an aftermarket LSD for an open diff SX and any one should work in a log nose R200 with either Z stubs or Z31 axles.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have an 1989 3.9 R200 long nose.

I need a good reliable LSD and I want CV's if possible.

I bought an OS Giken NS046-HA LSD for a short nose R200. It is for a 1991 240SX open diff. I have used this diff numerous times in SX cars up to 450whp with good results so I wanted to see if it would go in a long nose.

I put on new carrier bearings and used the original shims in the same locations. The ring gear bolts are smaller than the holes in the LSD but it is hubcentric so I just bolted it on. I have done this on SX diffs numerous times with no issues. There are spacers available if this worries you. The backlash and preload were within specs.

First thing I noticed was the thick spacer is on opposite sides in the 2 diffs.

This had me worried since the stub shafts are interchangeable between the 3 (280Z, 240SX, Z31ZXT). I tried these stub shafts in all 3 diffs.

The groove is slightly wider on the SX stubs so I widened the groove on the Z31 shafts. They worked and locked in either way but the Z31's were very hard to get back out and a wider groove with slightly rounded edges matched the SX grooves better.

I bought the Z31 axle shafts and flanges from Checkered Flag Joe. They are very beefy. It was no big deal to change shafts. Pull the c clip on the outboard end. Knock the inboard end off by hitting on the race. Change shafts and put it back together.

The flanges are much heavier than stock and a tighter fit on the stock 280Z stub axles but went on with minimum fuss.

The Giken's are very good and tunable diffs. They drive like stock, with no chattering, on the street but hook up great. They have 20 or so discs. Actually the steels and clutches are all steels but it works. I use Redline NS oil in them for the first 300 miles and then change to Giken fluid. It is very spendy.

I couldn't find if this would work or not so thought I would share my experience.

It works.

Be sure to use an aftermarket LSD for an open diff SX and any one should work in a log nose R200 with either Z stubs or Z31 axles.

Sorry to bring this up from the dead. Has anyone confirmed this? I know the carriers are identical inside because all the aftermarket Quaife unit list for all r200 from 280zx 300zx s13 s14 200sx ANY R200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quaife-ATB-Helical-LSD-differential-FOR-Nissan-R200-QDF7L-/191538641132?hash=item2c9897b8ec:m:mJ6248YxFGZjx7lsASbwovg&vxp=mtr

I have always wondered if you are swapping a carrier how does your axle input shaft still work I thought s14 have different spline count ? If that is the case why or how come this has been overseen especially in terms of cv axle swap with a custom companian flange? Or even especially considering the other end of the 240sx is a tripod design couldn't we just use the 280zx companian flange. IF the cv is too long it could be shortened?

This swap has been done a lot by z31 owners and works. The 280z280zx r200 has smaller bolts on the ring gear so steel bushings / sleeves are required if you use a long nose from those cars. Z31 long nose use the same size ring gear bolts as the short-nose.

BUT

the vlsd units need special shafts, therefore you'd need to figure out custom axles.

An OBX will work with stock r200 axles and the required modifications to them are documented on this forum.

Vlsd swaps are often overlooked because there are better mechanisms than the viscous link along with the custom axles. There is one user I remember who used the modernmotorsport stub axle flanges paired with Nissan 4x4 front axles and z31 turbo axles to make a short pair of hybrid axles.

Edited by jthom5147