HybridZ

Oil Cooling help

duragg

Need a new oil cooling scheme on my 240Z.  Track only car with a 3L race motor.

Previously I had a single cooler in front of the radiator which was about 5" tall by maybe 18 or 20" wide?

Primarily I am looking to solve a high water temp problem which means getting the oil cooler away from the radiator.

I had considered using 2 oil coolers just in front of each wheel well fed by an inlet duct and 3" tube to a shroud covering the front of each oil cooler.

I bought 2 coolers of 8" x 10" but I think they are just too big to fit in there and get ducted properly. 

They make ones that are 5" x 10" but not sure that is enough?

Alternatively I can use the existing 5x20 cooler in the area of the front airdam with ducts and see how that goes. 

Trickier to mount it and duct it tho.

What are others using?

I have an oil cooler from a ford truck that I have mocked up under the air dam in front of the passenger wheel. The ducting goes from the brake-duct hole in the air dam to the cooler, then exits into the wheel well through a mesh screen.

I haven't installed it yet, other things have taken priority.

I've got one that the lower radiator hose runs through...

Any overflow cooling could be taken up by a supplemental air cooled unit (or for that matter adapting the Nissan Water-Cooled Oil Cooler from off an LD28) positioned like they did on the 280ZXT. The relatively small opening for drag, properly ducted and vented to a low-pressure area boosts airflow efficiency.

/\ John this would help with a lot of logistics of mounting, but I am battling high water temps to begin with.

Summer in Phoenix so dealing with 100f ambient temps.

Arizona Z-car radiator, which used to have the oil cooler sandwiched in front of the radiator.

Eliminating that oil cooler and I now have really good ducting to the radiator and an 18" electric fan (have to sit on grid sometime...)

If I am adding the oil cooling burden to the radiator system will there be enough capacity?

Considering the radiator is no longer blocked as much by the oil cooler..

Suggest a size of this oil/water exchanger?  Link observed..  hmm

Edited by duragg

This was my setup - C&R/Infineon double pass high efficiency three tube core.  The heat exchanger is on the right side and takes up that whole side tank.  The radiator holds 25% less coolant then the Arizona Z Car radiator and worked great for 325hp on 100+ degree days.  Coolant temps stayed around 200F and oil temps never went above 230F.

Rad_Mount_Top600.jpg

This was my setup - C&R/Infineon double pass high efficiency three tube core.  The heat exchanger is on the right side and takes up that whole side tank.  The radiator holds 25% less coolant then the Arizona Z Car radiator and worked great for 325hp on 100+ degree days.  Coolant temps stayed around 200F and oil temps never went above 230F.

So that is an "off the shelf" radiator with an integral oil cooler section?

A part number would be super right now...  :)

I will look on their website.

Racing this Saturday morning so I had to get the job done in the quickest manner

Installed dual 5x10" air / oil coolers in series directly in the air dam.

Quick and dirty proof of concept execution.

If the concept works and temps are acceptable I have a few months to revisit a fancier custom solution (or leave well enough alone).

post-1894-0-94170300-1401198077_thumb.jpg

I talked to that place and it looks like about $1000 bucks would get a custom radiator.

I was thinking...  Make the radiator as wide as the whole front grill and let it rest on top of frame rails.

Then put the oil cooling section in a bottom drop that fits just betweeen the frame rail. 
That would max out the cooling area in the grill and allow the oil exchanger section to nesltle down low between the rails.

Just like Tony D mentioned....works flawlessly!  :)

Technically that hose routing is not correct if you look how they routed the LD... It should come from a a pressure point, and go on out to the radiator through the lower thermostat housing I believe... I haven't looked at my LD in a long while to see how it was actually run...but if it's working...

Incidentally that is very similar to the oil cooler they put on the Suzuki Every and Carry/Scrum F6A Turbo Engines... 657cc's of ripping power! That thing is ALWAYS on-boost (at least when I'm driving!)

Edited by Tony D

Interesting enough... my nissan titan runs an oil cooler just like that... radiator hose into a sandwhich plate, and back out.. Had to replace the seal on it a few weeks back and it was the first time I ever saw something like that... would be interesting to see if the bolt sizes line up... might be an interesting fit if it could work...

IMG_0251.jpg

Edited by AZGhost623

Technically that hose routing is not correct if you look how they routed the LD... It should come from a a pressure point, and go on out to the radiator through the lower thermostat housing I believe... I haven't looked at my LD in a long while to see how it was actually run...but if it's working...

Incidentally that is very similar to the oil cooler they put on the Suzuki Every and Carry/Scrum F6A Turbo Engines... 657cc's of ripping power! That thing is ALWAYS on-boost (at least when I'm driving!)

I just run the hoses as i found them routed on the original factory L20A ET. Like you said again Tony, if it works....!

I like that other water to oil cooler, should be easier to find if it's from a later model Nissan. Someone needs to grab one and see if it can fit our engines.

It looks like they used a variation of that oil cooler/exchanger on just about everything in the last 10 years, but with slightly different in/out routing. It would be nice and compact, I guess you could check if the oil filter has the same threads?