HybridZ

RB25det Turbo Fitment with stock manifold

theczechone

Hi guys, Im new to the RB world, but I have inherited some great stuff from another member on here. 

The engine came with a Holset HX35 turbo although it's a popular option, I think it is too large and would produce quite significant lag.  I'd like a quicker throttle response in trade for some horsepower. My power goals are 325-375hp and I was thinking about going with the Garrett GT2871r or GT3071r if I decide to go to higher power later on. 

My question is: Will either turbo fit on the stock manifold into the 240z chassis (clearance to the fender well)? 

I haven't dropped the engine in yet to see what room I have to play with. 

Thanks

• 9 months later...

Honestly, for the power you want. I highly suggest selling the turbo, buying a cheap used stock turbo and sending it to pureturbos to have it rebuilt. They rate their upgrade to 450whp and it bolts onto everything factory minus the oil feed and return lines.

I have a stock turbo with 4 thou axial shaft play. Likely close to the end of it's life. If you do decide on a high flow option (modified stock turbo for more power) I could send mine in as a core for you. 

That said, the 2871 often does not come stock with a t3 style turbine housing. The 3071R often does come with a t3 housing. What you are after is a turbo with a T3 turbo flange (as that is what the stock one is). 

If you are purchasing new, you can often get the turbo housing you want from the supplier.

ie. http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-022&Category_Code=GRT

Is your power goal wheel horse power (WHP) or just crank).