HybridZ

Steering rack parts availability

My 240z steering rack is shot. I found a rebuilt for a 280z on RockAuto.com that includes inner tie rods. Total cost is $205 with a 27$ core return available bringing total to about 180. Finally found a 240z rack (I hope) at DatsunpartsLLC.com (his last one) for $245 with a core charge of $100 on top of the $245 for a total of $345. It arrived and looks fine (haven't counted turns to lock. ). The inner tie rod ends seem to be unobtainable to the public but the rebuilders can still get them. My inner tie rod ends seem fine so in gonna keep them and give up the core charge because I feel that my rack will be judged as un-rebuildable. Nobody has inner tie rods in stock and I'd rather have those hard to find parts in my garage if I need them. That's the state of the union for steering parts.

Thanks. I got the expensive rebuilt one and I'm gonna install it. I did find a forum member who can cut apart an inner tie rod, adjust out the wear, then weld it back together should all inner tie rods become unavailable.

EDIT:  I only started this thread to bring folks up to date on current new/rebuilt availability.  I have a couple of other threads related to my current repair.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 2 weeks later...

It is a darn shame we don't have bolt-in a aftermarket solution yet.

My stupid rack is worn at center so the wheel kind of floats when driving straight.

Afraid to buy refurb because the gears are NLA, so there is a good chance i'm going to end up with another wandering rack.

• 1 year later...