HybridZ

1973 240Z Won't start

So I have A 1973 240Z that I bought about a year year ago. When I first got it I had some problems, but eventually I got it to start and idle with no problems except a slight hesitation.

So my problem is now it won't start. I took the carburetors off and had them pulled apart and cleaned then reassembled. The carbies took so long to get done that I decided to do a mild turbo build with some parts I have laying around. So now I have a 280 ZXT turbo manifold with a T3/04 turbo, attempting to run a blow through setup.

There is no piping hooked up to the intake at the moment and I want to try and start it before I do that.
So now to the root of the problem. I have spark at the plugs, checked by earthing them one at a time out of the engine and all have spark. (I had no spark with the points so I upgraded to a pertronix ignitor and now I have spark).
I also have fuel, checked by both a fuel pressure gauge and taking off the hoses at the carbies and fuel comes out. (I upgraded to an electric fuel pump, for the turbo)

So it will crank but there are no signs of it wanting to turn over. I have tried starting it without the fuel pump running with just the residual fuel in the bowl but that didn't work either. My spark plug order was wrong, according to the FSM it is now 156342 going anti clockwise.

On a quick side note, I have replaced the plugs, coil, rotor, distributor cap, spark plug wires, fuel hose, fuel pump and pertronix ignitor (as mentioned previously)

I am all out of ideas right now.

Edited by Jordon

about a year year ago. 

156342 going anti clockwise.

The firing order you show is wrong.  Anti (counter)-clockwise is right.  When you get that corrected, consider that the fuel may be stale.  Starting fluid is always a quick way to check for spark, firing order and timing.  It lights up easily.  

Thanks NewZed,

I corrected the firing order. It was right in the FSM but i must of just messed it up. Still no firing though.
Fuel is no more than a week old, premium unleaded. 
I will try the starter fluid on thursday. Is it just in a pressure pack? Is it the same as carburettor cleaner?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Try this...leave it in the start position. Even if it lights up don't let off. If it keeps running then you have the same problem I had before and a wire that goes to a resistor under the coil is off. I had spark and everything when in start but the second the ignition goes to on it goes through a different resistor. Well the wire wasn't hooked up and it would loose spark in the on position.

• 2 weeks later...