HybridZ

New? Bolt-in camber top mounts on the market

So i was scouring ebay for datsun related stuff like I normall do, and found these camber top hats. I am curious if anyone has tried them.

$149.99 for bolt-in no modification needed is kind of nice. Looks like they would lower the car some too.

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK1-PillowBall-Bearing-Strut-Upper-Mount-For-Coilover-Kit-Mounts-Plates-240Z-/161203739866?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A240Z&hash=item25887ddcda&vxp=mtr

First glance says there isn't as much camber adjustment as you might think. The adjustment channel containing the four small socket head lock down bolts is pretty short compared to the long channel where the mono ball rides. Might ask for some number specs from this guys before ordering so you get the amount of adjustment you need.

Intriguing-looking product.  I wonder if they work with stock-sized springs and top spring hat....the language in the eBay ad indicates that they are only compatible with coilover kits, but the pictures imply that they're a 1-for-1 replacement with the stock strut insulator. 

I emailed them for some measurements. I do know they have adapters for various sized shafts.

I am curious if it would work with spring/shock combos, and exactly how much lower they will make the car over the stock insulators. One down side, how on earth do you adjust camber when they are installed?

Edited by 1vicissitude

Looks like they use a standard COM10 monoball so a blade type upper shock mount with a .624" OD (16mm) shoulder will work.  Looks they also include sleeves for 15mm or 14mm OD shoulders as well.  Unfortunately the upper part of the shock shaft will hit the strut tower so you'll have to enlarge the center hole if you want camber adjustments either side of maybe 1 degree over stock.  You will also have to drop the strut to adjust camber unless you cut out more of the strut tower.

They look so well made and hopeful, but I don't see enough range of travel in adjustment to get to 3-degrees of adjustment. Maybe when combined with adjustable LCAs....you could just adjust these before installing them to max increase setting and bolt them in then make fine adjustments from the bottom? If I look at how I had to adjust my DP and EMI camber plates, to achieve 3-degrees negative, I actually have my koni stiffness adjuster coming thru the most medial stock bolt hole (which I clearanced the heck out of). That tells me that this kit wouldn't do much. They may be ok for folks who have lost all their front camber due to lowering...?

• 2 weeks later...

The same manufacturer also produces a "universal" plate for adjustable camber AND caster.  I may have to procure a set, just out of curiosity, if nothing else...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MK1-Universal-Fit-Adjustable-Caster-Camber-Plates-Datsun-280Z-/161148545667?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258533aa83&vxp=mtr

Edited by jhm

The same manufacturer also produces a "universal" plate for adjustable camber AND caster.  I may have to procure a set, just out of curiosity, if nothing else...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MK1-Universal-Fit-Adjustable-Caster-Camber-Plates-Datsun-280Z-/161148545667?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258533aa83&vxp=mtr

Do it, do it! Then tell us all how it works out. :-) Edited by Phantom

These are universal, notice how there are no mounting screws?