HybridZ

New? Bolt-in camber top mounts on the market

I have a question for JMortensen, Being that you have so much knowledge on our Z's, my question to you is on this same kit , do I just cut off the 3 studs on the rubber top spring isolator and then put my camber plates or do I eliminate the top hat .. because If I leave the top rubber hat and add the camber plate wont my front end sit about an inch higher? what do you suggest? thanks ,Rob    P.S remember this kit I have comes with the 3 bolts on it already...

I have a question for JMortensen, Being that you have so much knowledge on our Z's, my question to you is on this same kit , do I just cut off the 3 studs on the rubber top spring isolator and then put my camber plates or do I eliminate the top hat .. because If I leave the top rubber hat and add the camber plate wont my front end sit about an inch higher? what do you suggest? thanks ,Rob    P.S remember this kit I have comes with the 3 bolts on it already...

The camber plates replace the rubber isolator as they're meant to be used with 2.5" universal 'coilover' springs and top hats. The stock diameter springs wouldn't allow much adjustability before they clash with the strut tower.  

Max has it. One of the benefits of most camber plates is that they lower the car about 1 or 1.5 inches without losing travel. But you'll need the 2.5 springs and spring hats, and the threaded coilovers. Old perch cut off struts, new perch welded on, etc. Takes some doing, but worth it.

You *may* be able to use those plates with stock-sized springs and perches, but you'll get no camber advantage over and above what you can achieve by slotting the three mounting holes in the strut tower.  I suppose you would get some additional lowering, as well, if that's your goal.  What are your objectives here?  There may be other, more effective solutions.

My objective here is not really to lower it anymore than what it is with the eibach springs I installed, my target it to be able to get my camber to the point where my tires wont get worn on the inside like they are wearing right now....I really really would like to avoid going coil overs.Im not interested in them at all..my car is just a cruiser....any further advice is welcomed...Rob

You won't be able to move the camber very far with those because the slot isn't that big. You might not even be able to get the full adjustment that is there with the stock diameter springs. It would require a custom hat to fit the stock spring and adapt it to the camber plate as well. Basically by the time you got it done it would be more expense and hassle than just going to coilovers.

Rob-

You're saying that the inside of your tires is getting worn?  If so, it could be due to too much negative camber and/or poor alignment.  Check both.  Is this occurring on both the front tires and back?  If it turns out that you've got a lot of neg camber and that's what's causing the excessive wear, you'll want to dial in more POSITIVE camber....which is somewhat unusual, but not unheard of.  Most people installing camber plates (and coilovers) are usually looking for more negative camber.

Hope this helps.

r/John

I don't have any problems with the rears at all. they are wearing nice and even. My only problem is with the fronts, Yes they are wearing excessively fast on "both inner fronts'....as I know , this is negative camber....I don't want that....I have had it aligned and it's supposedly the best it can be as they say. just so you know, I have new powersteering rac, new ball joints new inner and outer tie rods, new eibach springs, and new shocks.....I have owned 4 z"s in my life have had all of them lowered and never till now did I have a tire wear issue..... they told me what I already know which is these cars don't have camber adjustment...I know....So, this is why Im trying to go with the camper plates....Rob

Many of us watching this thread are S30 guys. This is a 280zx, right? When I lowered my S30, the camber actually went positive, (which would make the tires wear on the outside) but the geometry may be different for a ZX. Something doesnt fit: can you clarify the identity of the car in question?

Unless you are driving the car VERY hard and have too much positive camber, the wearing of the inside of the tires is more likely a toe issue.  Have you replaced the T/C rod & control arm bushings?  It could be movement in the bushings or worn tie rod ends or ball joints.....basically something worn that is allowing movement and the alignment to stay true.  Either that OR your alignment has incorrect toe setting. 

I had ZX struts on my 510 with 1.5 degrees of negative camber and my tires wore evenly.  Of course, ran it hard to get them to wear that way and never had any understeer.  Maybe you should look at adjustable T/C rods & control arms up front, especially if you want to keep your current suspension and not switch to coilovers. 

Hope that helps.

It's an 83 280zx turbo..., I cannot drive it any easier than I do.. I just cruise and enjoy the ride. I believe the guys at Firestone said that their was no toe or camber adjustment. they did align it though the car goes perfectly straight down the road and does not pull to any side. Obviously , if the tires in the front are wearing on the inside, I have too much " negative'' camber...I was hoping that these camber plates would give me the adjustment need to be perfect....  and for the record as stated above , All my front end components have been changed...they are all new. 

Actually, every car has toe adjustment, but most do not have camber or caster adjustability. As mentioned previously, with stock springs, you have limited adjustment and you may want to look at just slotting the holes for the strut mount to get rid of some camber. I've never seen a Datsun needing to take out negative caber when lower, at least in the front, but the rear on on 510 or 280ZX, that's another story.

Ok, then I probably meant caster, anyways, this is exactly why I want to install the plates, because like that the plates I got have adjustment and I can go the opposite way and get rid of negative camber...Like I said this is my 4th Z or zx and never had a camber problem with the others...I really appreciate you guys trying to help..Rob