HybridZ

Hidden antenna? Need help and options.

brianZortiz

Hi guys I just recently welded up the rear antenna hole on my 260z. I am now in the search for an antenna that can be fitted under the dash or a low profile area. Are there any good options for this? I don't want to do subscribed radio. I just want the normal fm/am in Los Angeles. Any good brands that are lightweight, low-profile, and great reception?

I have tried many different electronic antennas, in many cars and all have less then stellar results. Some only seem to pick up radio with the car engine off. :facepalm:

I'm sorta tempted to use an external electronic antenna, mounted at the rear of the roof, but the best "antenna" so far has been a length of coax plugged into the radio to extend it to the rear of the car over the trans tunnel (temporary install) and a wire then clipped to the center conductor. I was trying to use the rear defroster grid as an antenna, but it didn't work out so well.

I'm really tempted to open the original antenna hole up (I also welded mine shut) and just install an automatic antenna.

Edited by Six_Shooter

I have tried many different electronic antennas, in many cars and all have less then stellar results. Some only seem to pick up radio with the car engine off. :facepalm:

I'm sorta tempted to use an external electronic antenna, mounted at the rear of the roof, but the best "antenna" so far has been a length of coax plugged into the radio to extend it to the rear of the car over the trans tunnel (temporary install) and a wire then clipped to the center conductor. I was trying to use the rear defroster grid as an antenna, but it didn't work out so well.

I'm really tempted to open the original antenna hole up (I also welded mine shut) and just install an automatic antenna.

Someone used to make a adhesive wire that could be fitted to the windshield or the rear window.  don't know if it is still available or not.  How about a sharks fin like many of the german cars use

Someone used to make a adhesive wire that could be fitted to the windshield or the rear window.  don't know if it is still available or not.  How about a sharks fin like many of the german cars use

That's one of the styles I was looking at, since I think the shape might flow with the S30. There's another one that is a little taller and more like a fin, that I don't think would look right.