HybridZ

L28ET Throttle Stop Adjusment

BitchinZ

I have a stock 83 L28ET in my 280Z with Z31 ECU swap.  The VCM was bad so I deleted it and blocked off the AAC and fast idle. Now it needs some air to idle.  The turbo motors dont have an idle adjustment screw, just a throttle postition stop screw.

Is there any negative to adjusting the throttle stop screw to hold the throttle plate open a tad?  I tried this and it will idle.  Is there a better way to do it?  Will having the throttle plate always cracked open at idle hurt perfomance anywhere else?

Thanks

Edited by BitchinZ

You could change the turbo throttle body to a N/A one. then you will have a bypass for idle.

Having the throttle opened slightly sounds like it could work but wouldn't be the way I would go. Sounds like it wouldn't be precise enough, and a annoying for a dd. Also If you didn't readjust the TPS with youre new throttle setting you will need to do that.

Just take an idle screw from an 82/83 N/A, hook it from the turbo J-Pipe to a fitting on the take manifold with 1/4" high pressure fuel line hose.

That will allow zero to 2,200 idle speed adjustment, just like the Euro Turbos.

The system is designed to idle with the throttle plate closed and specific bypass. The stop screw is a bit coarse and ends up meaning TPS readjustment, and eventual crudding of the plate with goo, meaning more issues later on.

Edited by Tony D

Im running an N42 manifold (no emissions equipment)  and stock l28et throttle body, I use the throttle stop as an idle adjustment at about 1000 rpm.  Cold start is about 800 and once its warm it sits right under 1k.   While it may not be the best route to go, it works well for me and is consistent...

The one issue which may or may not be affected by it is my AFR's fluctuate a little,  they're typically about 13-14 at idle and will sometimes hit up to 15 when sitting at a light (heat soak?)