HybridZ

1973 240z build

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha no way!! yep he's the guy that did the exhaust- pretty happy with how it came out.

That looks like a really nice setup, I'm sure it sounds great!

:lol:  Ha! For some reason, it just looked like Todd's work, very nice!

The deed is done..

Q5SOurX.png

I haven't bought coils yet, but fret not! I think I found a set of 4 GC coilovers for $250 and those should get here soon!

So I cut 2 coils rear and 1.5 front. I really didn't wanna lower it any more than that. I can still do speed bumps, driveways, and have fun driving it, but there is a noticeable reverse rake.. so I guess the front needs to come down another 1/2-1"  :D 

Here's where the cars at now-

wbtqAew.png

3H65Sm5.png

46I1eul.png

WzKOVyd.png

My friend also took some pictures up at skyline blvd but unfortunately they are pre-lowering..

6OZfV8Y.jpg

W4hxZ6M.jpg

pxCXVoh.jpg

h90iRNO.jpg

ZDhyKU3.jpg

I know, the front end is really messed up, I need a new driver side fender (I'd rather not use bondo to fix m current one), and the triangular plate the the headlight bucket and hood hinge bolt to was damaged in some sort of crash, the driver side hood hinge is now located lower than the passenger one and thats why the hood is crooked/ wont fully close.

Not sure if I can drill new holes for the hinge on that same plate or if I should cut it out and weld in a new one- I'll post better pictures after work explaining what I mean.

And I need a slim fiber glass bumper, and a grill to cover the horns/wiring harness, etc

Either straighten out your existing chassis extension, or replace it. The entire area helps everything line up properly.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably have to replace the metal; it looks like bacon.. soggy bacon

Also, I got these window louvers from another member on here and have some questions about mounting them. I think they're the interpart brand?

They have the top piece with studs that slips under the weather strip. The hinges on the louvers bolt to this piece. There are also pieces that go on the bottom but some are missing.

1) I've been reading and I was under the impression I can slip these pieces under the weather strip using a putty knife and some soap, is this true?

2) Since some of the bottom mount pieces are missing (the pieces that have the locks on them) has anyone DIY mounted them to the hatch? I was thinking about drilling holes on either side of the hatch and having tabs that pivot to either cover the side lip of the louvers or slide out of the way when I want to lift it up for cleaning. Maybe even 3m tape on the louvers to the glass? But that would be a more permanent solution..

Here are some pictures of it just resting on the hatch:

KN4P6Lgl.png
83uwvX9l.png
inl1HeMl.png

My brakes were squealing really bad so I swapped out the brake pads, a surprisingly easy job:

wheels off

Au6dGXbl.jpg

Caliper can stay attached to spindle 

VCfBbgWl.jpg

Pull out clips for retaining pins

6XgREZ5l.jpg

slide out retaining pins

ykikDX9l.jpg

pop off retaining clips on both both calipers

n0kboAcl.jpg

slide out old pads and slide new ones in, getting the new ones in was a little tricky with out a caliper press (presses the piston in to make sliding in the new pad easier) but I got it done with minimal drama

1fBnAL5l.jpg

then I rolled the fenders in the rear since it was rubbing pretty bad

vza64KVl.jpg

and took some shots of the car- front needs to come down more..

7W87Gvrl.jpg

TcUc7VOl.jpg

D2M8ldyl.jpg

UxN05x6l.jpg

D0pvJ8tl.jpg

hwHFw1kl.jpg

JJKzFoXl.jpg

3EohJifl.jpg

HB7Xg81l.jpg

I have some adjustable arms and links in the mail from Techno Toy Tuning that will get here today- Rear LCA, Front LCA, and Front Tension Control rod. Should have those in this weekend. Coils are on the back burner since it rides fine with the springs mildly cut and I really need to dial out some toe in the rear.

Edited by aprophet13

• 2 weeks later...

Got this package a few days ago

18pUAcQl.jpg

Techno Toy Tuning pulled through and all the stuff looks awesome!

TC Rods and rear LCA bushings

hV7qyoOl.jpg

Front LCA

UgjnnDgl.jpg

Rear Lca

Qii4UANl.jpg

My friend has had all my tools for over a week since he's been putting a lift kit on his jeep, hopefully I can get these on over the weekend.

Stay tuned folks

woowww nice control/radius arms. I've been a little torn between TTT and AZC brands. Can't wait to hear how these perform for you. 

Also, the fender-rolling pic was educational for me. I never realized such a device existed. I always imagined people did this by hand somehow. =)

Great pics and I love those Work rims. Congrats on the progress =D

• 1 month later...

woowww nice control/radius arms. I've been a little torn between TTT and AZC brands. Can't wait to hear how these perform for you. 

Also, the fender-rolling pic was educational for me. I never realized such a device existed. I always imagined people did this by hand somehow. =)

Great pics and I love those Work rims. Congrats on the progress =D

Thanks! I am a little worried as I've heard the TTT or any heim joint TC rod can make the ride very jarring but CA roads aren't too bad so we'll see.

Found this set of wheels for a really good price- and knowing that the equips are temporary I went for it. 

LytJtHwl.png
em0FsNXl.png
7neW7dpl.png

They are focus racing by ssr 14x6.5 et-1 they really remind me of the HRE 505's that are on Yuta Akaishi's 240z (the rusted out one with black wheels).

The sizes are pretty lame though so I'm having a pair of them widened at Araya wheels.

I think I'll run my rear equips in the front and these in the rear until I can also get the fronts widened which might be this summer. 

Don't want to give away too much but think wide and negative offsets- he says lead time is about 3 months so I should get to mock them up over winter break

Well the guy from Araya Wheels texted me about the wheels and said they are pretty much done- he got them done in less than a month which was very surprising.

The specs I gave him stressed lip size over a specific offset so I'm not sure what the final offset comes out to, but its around -40.

They were 14x6.5 et-1 and now they're 15x11 approx. et-40 with a 6" lip.

Hopefully he can get some better pics before he ships them but I'll be able to unbox them when I'm home for fall break. 

Fx2pcP4.jpg

nFH1QwP.jpg

• 2 months later...
My friend got some better pictures of Naomi since after I lowered her.

qIMGaR3l.jpg

PUUKzLTl.jpg

u63S8p4l.jpg

8bn4V0ml.jpg

TTPJKUcl.jpg

Gonna try to get the techno toy arms/links in and also fit the new SSR's in the rear. The wheels got delivered so I'll post some pictures of them up soon. I'm thinking 225/50 on a 15x11" which I've seen a number of people do so I just need to find somewhere that will mount them.

• 5 months later...
Well guys, back from the east coast and finally have some time to work on the whips. 

Got some gold plastidip and added some graphics to the Z.

It will peel off so I'm just experimenting right now. 

I like the drivers side stripes- not sure how i feel about the passenger side circle.

I want to add more lettering and stuff- ideas/suggestions? Going for a war plane/rat rod kinda theme so any thoughts are welcome.

at6QChwl.jpg

XLnqqpWl.jpg

IXoUCCBl.jpg

yoJ2J0cl.jpg

HzJeaAtl.jpg

Plans for the summer are basically to get the SSR's mounted, some kind of paint change, and possibly some flares depending on how the wheels fit up. 

Also want to install the TTT arms/links but might not get around to this as its my DD for now..

Many more updates to come, thanks!

Ya I've just been experimenting so I wanted to try both, although I don't mind it being asymmetrical.

I added another stripe and some lettering on the passenger side.

I think it evened it out and it looks a lot like an old fighter plane, which is the look I was going for. 

My friend taped the lights out with X's which I also think adds to the look. 

Final touch was another "HLS30" graphic on the ducktail- here's how it came out:

DTAGbd4l.jpg?1

deTMkYfl.jpg

tosHBm7l.jpg

IfLu645l.jpg

RxZETILl.jpg

5GbWOdMl.jpg

g6xggtul.jpg

GaEqLPKl.jpg

Mrvmsldl.jpg

Got the louvers, fender mirrors, and headlight covers mounted. 

For the louvers there is a strip of metal the hinges bolt to that slides under the window trim.

Got them on without much difficulty, just took a while:

v09kX4Fl.jpg?1

B7fxyKrl.jpg?1

lhE5mCTl.jpg?1

This was the first iteration of the fender mirrors until my friend and I realized they might not have been facing the right way..

pPjmg4Kl.jpg?1

But they came out looking pretty nice

gifTiI7l.jpg?1

Headlight covers were a PITA to get installed since I lost the mounting hardware in the move.

Was anticipating removing the headlight buckets so the bumper came off and work began..

8hWfhNGl.jpg

o9kfxGPl.jpg?1

gfTieJAl.jpg?1

5KtAKhhl.jpg?1

fm2WP4ll.jpg?1

zcKsKOnl.jpg

That's it for now- might paint it this summer, also have been doing a lot of thinking about motor choice and have recently been thinking carb'd V8 is the way to go, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Saw a clean 280zx also in black/gold theme so had to take some twin (fraternal, I guess) pics

a0AxCNgl.jpg

gysLsqZl.jpg

And saw a nice 280z so, of course, had to get some pics with that

zncMCy0l.jpg

KzXsZMhl.jpg

Added some stripes on the driver side fender and I think I might redo them- maybe shift them forward a couple of inches. Idk, something looks off with them.

And I love how the headlight covers capture the light at night..

hyB28wXl.jpg?1

Went up to CSM and then down to hillsdale mall for some pictures. 

Here's my friends' Flickr: IMG_4622

RxcvIhhl.jpg

0rB38Bgl.jpg

oVWAh9nl.jpg

ycwhkjql.jpg

FUrvZOal.jpg

So, the official plan is install the Techno Toy Tuning arms/links ASAP 

And I'm starting to save for/piece together a plan for an sbc 350/sbf 302 swap. 

Not even my ideal motor choice.. but dirt cheap and even 200whp would be double stock out put so it should be fun- stay tuned folks!

Here's where I'm at with the wheels:

got them mounted at some random tire shop on el camino- guy was super chill.

tNotfNEl.jpg

8WhAObil.jpg

WaLz95Kl.jpg

Planned on rolling the fenders and seeing how close I could get to fitting them but even after cranking on 1 fender for a while I saw minimal results.

I think I'll have to slit the inner fender skin and then I can actually roll/pull the outer lip- its not that far from fitting though. 

I'm ordering ZG flares with my first pay check so this is just a temporary fix. 

GsS8R6nl.jpg