HybridZ

1973 240z build

Haha yeah I realized this semester in school that summer is the time to make moves so I've been trying to get as much done as possible!

A few updates:

1) Motor developed a tick after sitting for ~4 months while I was away at school.

Finally got around to adjusting the valves and this is what I found..
LLoNWhWl.jpg

Took the rocker arm off and there was NO lash pad on the valve spring retainer- the retainer itself was also gouged up. Ordered a new lash pad/retainer and should have it back on the road this week.

2) Fitting the wheels has been interesting:

Left off here- 
GsS8R6nl.jpg

Bent some shit-
Gsihmbpl.jpg

Cut some shit-
itY3wKal.jpg

And realized flares would basically be a necessity-
7Cb7XOTl.jpg

So I got to chopping-
0VLBNeDl.jpg
w3BYr9wl.jpg

Didn't want to wait for/pay for ZG flares that everyone runs, and I thought how hard could it be to make your own flares?

Cardboard template
Jq5mG54l.jpg

Sheet metal cut out
tYCW6Hal.jpg
WncWVpVl.jpg
2rKcxZjl.jpg
WxOgI2al.jpg
VS8ihKul.jpg
ec8YJxCl.jpg

The shape is pretty much where I want it. Gonna clean up the cuts on the inner fenders and grind the flares down so they're shaped better/smooth. Then just rattle can them black for now. Left a little gap since I plan on going lower so it should be pretty fitted.

It's coming along! Once the flares are black it should help to hide any imperfections as well, but THE WHEELS FIT!! Pretty exciting, and I managed to only spend ~$40- plus it looks a little more custom vs the standard ZG flares that IMO are a little played out. 

Things left on list:

1) Repair valvetrain to hold me over for item 3
2) Suspension- new arms+links+lower
3) v8 swap- carb'd sbf/sbc done on the cheap with 200-250whp being the goal (double stock hp should be a handful)
4) Paint- dark purple with either gold or black accents 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic