HybridZ

Ground-Up 280z Resto-Mod

Picked up a few goodies for the build in the last week. After perseverating over what motor to go with I finally decided on doing an all out 3.0L stroked turbo build. If I'm $15K in - whats another $15-20. So I scored an LD28 crankshaft and (probably one of the few non-warped) custom intakes.

Screenshot_2015-10-30-10-39-33-1.png

20151024_160744.jpg

Body work is moving at a painstaking pace. The underside has finally been stripped of undercoating over the course of the summer. The severely rusted areas have been cut, sanded and treated with phosphoric acid in preparation for welding in the patches.

20151019_143903.jpg

20151019_143913.jpg

Using a panel/seam separator tool (a very wise $25 investment) I opened up my windshield wiper cowl and began cleaning up the rust there. After all this time and money invested I would hate for my S30 to rust from the inside out. The front cowl was mostly superficial however the heater/AC induction vent was harboring some significant rust at the seams and along the firewall that was not visible from outside the cowl. Out came the reciprocating saw and wire wheel. 

20151029_110117.jpg

Still far from finished but looking better already. The drivers side was fairly mint, the passengers side must have failed to drain for a long time thus harboring more rust. Time for some for some phosphoric acid.

20151029_171843.jpg

The Skyline R33 rear end is coming apart, I'm getting new bearings in soon along with dismantling the brakes and sending them off for a rebuild. Once the car is painted I am ordering up a complete T3 R200 swap kit and the car will be back to rolling around the shop. However given the current flow of things this probably wont happen until summer.

20151028_145714.jpg

Edited by V-Fib

I've been doing some mental mas******ion in regards to the engine plans, after reading up on the various combinations I have looked into the L28 rods (130.2 mm) + LD28 crank (83 mm) + LZ22S pistons combination. Which would yield a healthy 2960 cc displacement bump with a mere 1 mm overbore to the motor. I don't feel the need to bore the block to 89 mm, it'll give me some extra meat to work with.  

The tentative plan is to use the LZ22S piston as a guide to create a custom forged piston with a 87 mm bore, 35 mm pin height and 9.33 cc dish volume. This will net a static compression ratio of 7.4-7.5:1.

My P90 is reconditioned with stock Nissan parts, thus the valve springs, retainers and guides will need to be replaced. A port, polish and a custom cam profile will also be in order. Turbo choice, I am looking at the GT3582R...

Like I said so far just a pipe dream - I'll cross this bridge when I get to it. Simply planning ahead thus any thoughts/guidance from those of you running boosted L28s or anyone who has done a turbo stroker is appreciated. 

Love the progress so far. Just curious what the plans are for the sunroof. I am debating to have a patch put in or keep searching for a new roof which I have been doing for over a year.

Thank you! Me personally I don't see what the big aversion towards the sunroof is. I don't mind the way it looks and I'm not planning on running an AC unit so it'll provide some circulation in the summer heat.

From what I understand patching the hole will cause your roof to warp, so if you decide to do away with it finding a donor roof skin with no sunroof is probably the best way to go. A seam splitter tool and a rotary tool make quick work of the spot welds.

Mad props to Seattlejester who came down to my neck of the woods and gave me hands-on welding advice and my welder friend Shan who helped patch up my rusty frame rail. 

Since then I've been spending a lot of time behind the mask welding in patch panels, the pictures speak for themselves. Had the frame rail patched by a welder due to me not trusting myself with that crucial of a piece yet. The rest is my handy-work...

20151113_135453.jpg

20151117_155719.jpg

In other news the Skyline R32 GT-R front and R33 rear calipers have been disassembled and sent off to the blasting and powder coating shop. The hardware is being mailed off to a plating shop. The Techno Toy Tuning suspension components arrived in the mail the other day... no photos here haven't bothered to unbox them. :P 

Ziploc baggies galore... 

20151117_155415.jpg

Roll bar is in the mail, as well pictures once it's welded up. :D

• 8 months later...

Been away for some time, poor health prevented me from working on the car at all.

At this time the firewall, the right fender and wiper cowl have had rust repairs completed with fresh metal welded in. The dog-legs are partially done with only the rear valence left to replace.

Photos to come tomorrow.