HybridZ

AZC vs Datsun parts LLC big brake kit

Has anyone out there seen both kits? I am about to pull the trigger on my brakes but I don't want to over pay by 350 dollars if it is going to function the same.

According to the gentleman I spoke with day datsun parts llc, they are the exact same calipers.

Thanks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TTTs are the most expensive .....i went with azc kit it bolts right up 2 piece vented rotor and it works great....i always hesitate when it comes to cross drilled....heard to many stories of cracked rotors .

TTTs are the most expensive .....i went with azc kit it bolts right up 2 piece vented rotor and it works great....i always hesitate when it comes to cross drilled....heard to many stories of cracked rotors .

This is more of an issue with race cars, not so much street driven cars.

By looking at the pictures they appear to be different. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-240Z-Front-Rear-Wilwood-New-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Set-Complete-Kit-/400716843486?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4c95c9de&vxp=mtr

The front calipers on the above link looks like the rear calipers in AZC

http://arizonazcar.com/brake.html

It does look like Datsun parts sells an upper tier wilwood brake kit that is more expensive. Below is the rear upper tier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-280Z-Rear-Wilwood-New-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Set-S3-PERFORMANCE-Kit-/151312530601?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233aedfca9

By looking at the pictures they appear to be different. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-240Z-Front-Rear-Wilwood-New-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Set-Complete-Kit-/400716843486?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4c95c9de&vxp=mtr

The front calipers on the above link looks like the rear calipers in AZC

http://arizonazcar.com/brake.html

It does look like Datsun parts sells an upper tier wilwood brake kit that is more expensive. Below is the rear upper tier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-280Z-Rear-Wilwood-New-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Set-S3-PERFORMANCE-Kit-/151312530601?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233aedfca9

The pictures in the ebay ad show wilwood dynalite calipers.  The front are 4 piston and the rear look like 2 piston.  The AZcar photos shows wilwood superlite.  It's a larger stronger caliper that has a larger pad.  Make sure you're comparing apples to apples when you decide to buy.  You can download the wilwood catalog to see the calipers these kits use and what options are available.  

Cary

Don't overlook reputation, competence, and trustworthiness.  DatsunParts LLC is relatively new and has made some mistakes in the past, for unknown reasons.  AZC has a real person with what seem to be real skills, and a good reputation behind him.  DatsunParts has a mystery person, of unknown skills, with a sketchy business reputation.  It actually looks like he's selling other people's products under the DatsunParts name.  And the fine print won't make you feel comfortable.

We have included NEW Wilwood Calipers, Pads, Hoses, Brackets all for a direct bolt on! However some minor drilling and adaptation may needed to be made to make this kit fit properly as not all Z cars we made 100% the same as modern cars. We recommend professional installation by a fabrication shop with experience and comfort with these type of conversions. 

**Note, you will NOT have an ebrake funtion with this kit**

Why buy from Datsun Parts LLC?
We are a professional licensed Datsun Restoration Business. Our parts are backed with a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. All we sell are quality new and restored parts that are sure to fit your special application. Our goal is customer loyalty and we want your return business. Our feedback rating is one of the best and our website is listed with several customer reviews. Trust in a ebay pro seller!

I have experience with Datsun parts by helping another individual fix his car.  He bought a cylinder head and carbs from him.  The head was incorrectly machined, and the carbs were  mismatched to the manifolds they were on.  The heat shield was also sandwiched between the carb spacer and the manifold causing a massive vacuum leak.  Based on my experience Datsun parts llc is to be avoided. 

Yes Juan will get you the datsun parts brakes cheaper as he is the supplier for datsun parts......i would say just buy from arizona z car... he is the first that was selling that kit..... for me his customer service was great !...6 piston front 4 piston rear and the car will out stop most modern day vehicles .

A little off subject, but Wilwood makes a caliper that is compatible with a cable parting brake. I would have pursued that caliper, but the mechanism is external and there is no way that it would clear my 15" drag/landspeed wheels. I am eager to see somebody develop a kit using that caliper but it would probably be only something that could be used by folks with 17" wheels. It kind of sucks not to have a parking brake.

A little off subject, but Wilwood makes a caliper that is compatible with a cable parting brake. I would have pursued that caliper, but the mechanism is external and there is no way that it would clear my 15" drag/landspeed wheels. I am eager to see somebody develop a kit using that caliper but it would probably be only something that could be used by folks with 17" wheels. It kind of sucks not to have a parking brake.

If you're referring to the Wilwood "Combination P-Brake Caliper," I investigated those when I was developing my rear disk conversion (http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/113199-yet-another-rear-drum-to-disk-conversion-option/) and ultimately rejected it in favour of the Jaguar XJ8 rear caliper. The largest piston available for the Wilwood is still ~2mm smaller in diameter than the Jag, which doesn't sound like much but makes a difference. Weight wise, they're exactly the same. They both require similar wheel clearance. The biggest difference is in the price. The Wilwood sells for $240 each, but you can pick up a reman XJ8 caliper for as little as $100. So, paying a $140 premium just to have the Wilwood name on the caliper and zero advantage in performance made no sense.

Regarding the front brakes, it doesn't look like Datsun Parts is offering anything more for the extra $150 you have to pay for their Stage 3 kit compared with AZC's front kit? They appear to be pretty much the same.

Nigel

Keep in mind, tires make your car stop, not the brakes. I havent posted that in awhile. Kits with 12" rotors and Wilwood calipers are pure overkill, and having designed a set for myself using smaller and lighter components, I can say it is not cheap going the Wilwood route, regardless of size. I haven't purchased from them, but the Silvermine stuff looks attractive to me for anything under 150mph.

• 2 weeks later...