HybridZ

280Z L28ET NO SPARK!!!! Help!!

I have a 1977 280z with a L28ET swap. I'm running MS1 V3 with a Relay Board I bought the car running but for some reason after I uploaded a new firmware it stopped. I realized I didn't unplug the coil which probably fried it. At that point I decided that I would redo the horrible and complicated wiring that the previous owner did in the car. I bought a MS Relay Board and the wiring kit as well as I switched out the NA dizzy to a 1983 Turbo Dizzy. I wired everything up and redid everything and the car is cranking but not getting spark. So I did some test to see why it doesnt work and where is the problem coming from.

1. I checked if im getting spark at the distributor...Im not

2.I checked if Im getting spark at the coil... Im not

3. I checked if I'm getting 12v+ to the + coil and I was 

4. I replaced the coil with a 12v light bulb to see if while cranking it would light up... it didnt

5. I checked if the relay board is getting 12v+ switched while cranking...and it wasnt so i temporary jumped the 12v+ from the battery (does this mean that my ignition is bad?)

I figured the problem must be within the Megasuirt itself. So my questions are:

1.Is there any way to check if the pin 36/s5 output actually works?

2. Is there any way to check if the coil ignition chip in MS is dead?

3. Is it possible that MS is not sending signal to pin 36 because i wired my Turbo dizzy wrong...any way to check that?

Below I attached a picture of a diagram of how I connected the coil.

PLEASE help me I need this car running since it's going to be my daily and I'm tires of borrowing my friends car. THANKS IN ADVANCE

There should be an output test mode in tuner studio to test for spark with a test light. Does tuner studio read RPM as you crank?

You do need 12V while cranking. If it goes away while cranking it is most likely an accessory wire rather than a Ignition wire.

Edited by loy

Yeah i change the drive gear and you're right about the VR as well. I still have TACHSELECT connected to VRIN and TSEL to VROUTINV. Maybe I should take those out?. I did the internal pullup resistor mod for the distributor where I connected the 12C to TACHSELECT 

It will work in both modes VR and optical.  You did not answer the question whether or not if tuner studio reads rpm while cranking. Also since it is MS1, are you running MSextra? 029y4a

Edited by loy

Anyways tho what if there is no tach signal? Im not 100% sure i wired the dizzy right. It didnt come with the 4 pin connector so i just connected the wires straight to the pins. I got a diagram from my manual but somewhere else I read it was different. 

So i checked my TACH signal today and noticed that I connected the dizzy the wrong way. I redid the wires and now my TACH signal cable sends out 5.5V. Still the car would not fire. So i decided to jump the TACH signal and see if the tunerstudio will get the signal and it doesn't. I checked for continuity between my relay board and the ECU and everything works so the problem seems to be within the ECU itself. I'm wondering if the previously made connections for the RV sensor might be the problem? Since I recently switched to the Turbo dizzy from a NA should I disconnect some of the previous connections?  Also just to clarify I'm not using my FIDLE relay, my dizzy signal is connected to my TACH on relay board and my coil is connected to S5. Also during testing today my coil wasnt connected if that matters?

So I finally have spark!!! But now I have another problem. I get spark from the coil to the dizzy but not to individual injectors. Seems the timing is off. I dont know if its the ECU or the actual dizzy timing. I put my engine once again at TDC and this is how my dizzy looks like. IMG_20140705_193646_658_zps5dxwx3k8.jpg

IMG_20140705_181233_497_zpsx2zkpgc1.jpg

IMG_20140705_181107_148_zpshig2terb.jpg

I know I can twist the dizzy a little to adjust it but i tried TunerStudios trigger angle from 50 all the way to a 100 and non of them seem to work. Also to get the spark in the first place I twisted the R52 and R56. Maybe the spark is to weak to jump or maybe I need to adjust the R52 and R56 some more? Please HELP