HybridZ

Vortec 6.0 swap info

Hi I have a 1977 280z roller I want to put a vortec 6.0 in it and need to know if anyone has done this or has any info on how to go about starting it I need the motor mounts and can't find any and need to know if there's anything I need to know before I start.

I do not have the money for a ls1 or anything I'm getting the 6.0 with 70k miles on it for 1k for motor and trans.

Hi I have a 1977 280z roller I want to put a vortec 6.0 in it and need to know if anyone has done this or has any info on how to go about starting it I need the motor mounts and can't find any and need to know if there's anything I need to know before I start.

I do not have the money for a ls1 or anything I'm getting the 6.0 with 70k miles on it for 1k for motor and trans.

Judging by your post, you have quite a bit to learn.  It would be in your best interest to take the next month, and search this forum, as well as LS1tech.com, and read.  I don't want to be that guy, but every question you've asked, and likely will ask has been covered here and ls1tech in great detail.

There are several members on here (myself included) that have extensive and thorough build threads that will be of great help to you. I suggest you start there.

It is not my intent to break your spirits, however you do have a lot to learn.

Happy reading!

Yes I'm new but that's what I want to know I've been looking for some time now I just can't find the mounts for the car was just trying to see if someone can post a link I plan on taking me a long time to finish the car so I'm in no hurry just seeing what people have to say and I will keep looking thank you for the info

You'll have to convert to an LS1 intake to clear the hood. You may have to buy accessories and brackets from an ls1 car to work as well . Your trans, I have no idea. A 4L60E will fit but I have no idea what trans is behind your 6.0. You'll also have to buy motor mounts and a transmission cross-member as well. Expect to spend 7 grand for your swap total. I honestly don't think you know what your getting yourself into.

I offer my build thread in the Member Projects forum. It starts out very similar to your questions and finishes with timeslips from the drag strip. The thread is entitled LS/T56/240z Engine Swap Mentor Wanted. My build isn't perfect, but I have walked the approximate road that you are starting. Feel free to PM me with specific questions once you have been through my thread. I will try to connect you with others who have been successful. It takes time to write a build thread, so there is lots of info missing from most of them, mine included. Like all on-line forums, asking open ended questions that have already been discussed will get you yelled at, but we all do it from time to time. But you will want to avoid getting yelled at if you can avoid it. Read my thread then I will direct you to other threads that are as good or better. The search function only works if you know the right questions to ask.

I didn't buy it yet I'm doing my research first and the 6.0 has the 4l60e on it I'll look more in to that I'm trying to stay in the 5 to 6k price for the swap

5 to 6K is VERY doable if you do most of the work yourself . Donor car , Fbody , is the key to save time , money , and headaches . 

Back to your motor mount question. There are several companies that offer motor mounts for LS style blocks. One of the first was JCI (www.brokenkitty.com)As you read threads (especially if you do a motor mount search, you'll find others.Since your dad has built several cars I assume that you have taken the time to think your build through to ensure you end up with an enjoyable finished product. I've seen too many guys that build a car around something they got a good deal on and then regretted it later.

Edited by Phantom

I've wanted a z for a very long time it's not just something I got a good deal on. I have yet to buy a motor or any parts for the swap so I'm guna look more in to the f body donor a friend of my dad has a junk yard so when I need the motor and trans I will get a good deal on one I am going back to school this year for mechanics just for fun I have a good job this will just be for a hobby. I have yet to stop reeding other forms all day and I would like to say thanks to the people for the help and I am sorry I didn't read more before I started this post

I would recommend the HAWKS 3rd gen mounts he has headers and anything LS that you will need and his mounts are sexier than the other mounts that are available. The LQ4 6.0 is fine but as mentioned intake will need to be changed.

After doing a lot more reading like I should of in the first place I'm guna just buy a 02 trans am ws6 for a parts car and use all I can out of that I want to drive the car a lot so the only thing I'll do to it is cam and headers