HybridZ

cx racing 3" ss mandrel complete exhaust

magnum44

Has anyone here bought and installed the 3" cxracing ss complete exhaust system for their 280zxt ? I have tried looking for reviews on this exhaust and have found none. I am about to fork over the 400.00 for this system being I'm almost done with my new 3" ss downpipe to complement and complete the new 3" exhaust.  I also have not found anyone else Making a nice Complete ready to install 3" system for my application either.   And it "has to be all Mandrel" no short cuts here...and at least my neck of the woods I have not found any muffler shops that do mandrel systems period.... thanks, Rob

I see on ebay they're $399. . . looks to be all mandrel bends, for the price you can't expect more that that!

JeffP did an all mandrel system that people bought. It wasn't $400. Try 4X that...

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=CB-280ZX&Category_Code=240Z

For that price You would be hard pressed to build your own mild/aluminized system. I think I was into mine for about 300 with a cheap glasspack and Superturbo muffler, plus it took me about 40 hours being my first time, you certainly won't be able to build a stainless system for anywhere near that. As long as it fits well, it seems like a good purchase. Even if you have to tweak the fitment, I'd say you're still ahead. 

Yes , I agree with you all and I was also going to buy from the ebay ad for the 399.00..  just wanted to hear from you guys here. I have had exhausts done before and I do agree 400.00 for all mandrel ready to install sounds very reasonable...thanks, Rob

"Reasonable"? It's CHEAP! Now whether that means "inexpensive" or "cheap" remains to be seen.

"Reasonable" for a quality system replicated here in the USA is about $800-1,000.

Beware of the mind warp. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got my custom 3" down pipe done and installed, took off my 2.5 " exhaust off the car and just waiting for my 3" stainless complete exhaust system to arrive from cali....should be here by Friday I hope.....will post pics, and give my opinion on this premade 3'' complete system......Rob

I purchased this set-up and it just arrived today.  Overall, the build quality is not too bad for the price.  There are one or two welds that look a little thin and on one flange they welded over a 1/8" gap and it looks like very little penetration. The ends that go into the flanges are not properly fit, with grind marks here and there.  The flanges are not cut very well, like a band saw or grinder.  Hardware is cheap, but I can replace bolts.  Gaskets at the flanges might leak, we will see.

The thing that most disappoints me is that although they advertise it will work with the stock down pipe, I don't see how.  The front pipe doesn't use the Nissan fitment, instead, I will have to come upwith some kind of gasket or exhaust donut.  At least the bolts line up!

It will be awhile before I get this installed, so I can't comment on fitment. I bought it mainly for the cost of the parts and if I have to re-flange it and get some new hardware, I am still ahead.

You get what you pay for, this is an inexpensive system and you can see where they cut corners.  My guess is without doing something with the flanges, it will start leaking short order.  This is an intermediate step in my exhaust system and I fell it will work in the short term and I can scavange the pipes for a proper system later.

Edited by ctc

Just an FYI, my last trip to PepBoys Speed Shop (designated performance parts stocking locations) had them with 3" SS V-Band clamps on the shelf.

So dumping flanges is as quick as stopping by your Local Pep Boys Speed Shop to pick up some V-Band stubs and clamp packaged assemblies on the way to your friendly TIG Welder to have some cutting, tacking, and welding done to rectify flat flanges.

JeffP used ball-socket connectors and not flat flanges save on his "first prototype"... Which was his comment: "that looks just like my first prototype system that I have up in the rafters of my garage!"

Well, I"m pissed at Cxracing in California, I paid for on the 3rd of july the 399.00 for the ss exhaust kit for my turbo zx, ( I know Friday was the 4th holiday) anyways, They send me an email that the package was shipped on the 7th Monday thru fed ex.... delivery date Friday the 11th. anxiously waiting Friday for delivery ....no delivery Friday night I check fed ex status for delivery now it says (NA). Now Im pissed! Saturday morning I call fed ex give them the tracking # and the guy tells me that cxracing produced a lable on the 7th and never shipped anything. Now  this coming Monday going to launch a call and see what kind of B.S. they try to feed me....  ( I called them cxracing that is, 2 days before paying for it to make sure they had it in stock, they said yes). looks to me like this will be the last item I buy from them.  I hate dishonest sellers...Rob

"Saturday morning I call fed ex give them the tracking # and the guy tells me that cxracing produced a lable on the 7th and never shipped anything."

That said otherwise, which is why I posted. The tracking information is updated at every touch

"Label Printed"

"Picked up from sending location"

"Scanned in to sorting location"

"In transport"

"Arrival at hub"

"Transfer to local"

"Out for delivery"

I do this kind of tracking every week. I can't believe you didn't call when "Label Printed" wasn't immediately followed with any number of the terms and times/locations that followed.

Having just had a credit card ship from Ohio to The Philippines, I called the day after it arrived in Manila asking where it was and got told "incomplete shipping address"! I completed it and had it the next day.

I have no doubt you're P.O., at the same time I can't believe what you are saying about the tracking claiming no information in-transit if you really checked every day.

The whole point of FedEx, UPS, DHL is that you can actually track the progress of your shipment every step of the way. From commercial accounts especially.

Another case in point: the PNO for my 260Z, the CADMV status page is screwed, I ended up DHL'ing a non-OP to them when it looked like something was fishy. I KNOW they got it, I KNOW who signed for it...I also know my check has NOT cleared the bank! I got the proof that it was paid and received. That's all I need. It's why it went DHL. It's how I cashed/deposited my income tax refund check this past year from overseas as well!

Yes, I know you can see every step of the way . I usually follow them and yes youre right . but in this case it did not show any progress other than the delivery date of Friday the 11th. I took it on face value.  Now for the real Blow! , I just called CXracing, Spoke to a guy there , he did agree a lable was produced, but he also said whoever told me 2 days prior that they had it in stock was wrong. I asked for a refund and Im done with them! I'm really pissed that nobody there even bothered to send me an email saying it's really out of stock.  That really Sucks and is terrible customer service. they will be getting a negative feedback from me once I get my money back.    I hope my fellow Z enthusiates here see this and think twice before ordering from these people....Rob

All the above predicated  that the originator is not a lying sack of crap...

Oh yeah, that is total BS! Terrible communication. You order stuff after a stock check...you expect they actually CHECKED stock!
Was this through an e-Bay store, or direct? I recently had my first "no show" from someone in the midwest that said something shipped, the tracking said it arrived...but like that video on Facebook Showed, likely ended up in some forest off a RR Carrier's pee stop as he chucked heavy Flat-Rate Boxes for some reason or another. I don't trust the post office tracking on flat rate boxes again.

This is not practical in your case, but when I was in SoCal, I was making trips to shops all the time for people to physically verify the stock, or actually buy it and ship it to them.

I did that a LOT with guys from overseas and Summit / Jegs because they pack in such huge boxes the shipping was insane. I'd get the stuff via free delivery and then 'densely repack' the stuff and forward it.
I once carried huge 20" Rims from a guy in Alabama who wouldn't ship out of state... So one of my co-workers picked them up, then when we met on the road transferred them to me. I then repacked them and shipped from airports with direct post offices. Dribbling in one rim at a time to the UK the guy saved on customs duty and because they didn't all come from the same place, and over a period of 6 weeks...it somehow looked like he was picking up onsies and twosies so they never hit him for customs on a set of custom Boyds rims. Took a while...but I had time then.

Not so much, now.

Edited by Tony D

I purchased it through ebay, and paypal to protect myself. I just got my Money credited to my debit card, But that's not the point here. It really Sucks when you have a company that treats customers like I was just treated ..."they don't care".....I will tell you one thing, I will never buy from them again!!!!