HybridZ

GC spring rates for 280z w/LM7 + T56?

What're you guys running? Don't know if this should be here or in the V8 section, but I'll give it a shot. I'm running the 5.3L cast iron block, so it's considerably heavier than a regular LS1. It's a daily also, so I'm wanting something comfortable enough to enjoy driving a lot but not so soft that I get a ton of roll during spirited driving, if that makes sense.

Think a 250/200 setup would be good enough to handle the additional weight from the motor?

Yes, should be more than fine, provided you've got struts (i.e. shocks) that are compatible with your springing.  

I've got a late '74 with an old iron-block/iron heads SBC that I'm running with 224 lb/in front and back.  And previously, I was running Tokico 5022 springs, which if I recall correctly, are 185 front and 200 rear.  I daily-drive the car in the off-season, and race it pretty regularly summer and fall...mostly auto-x and closed-circuit HPDE.

Good luck with it and be sure to post your results for the benefit of everyone else.

• 3 months later...

Yes, should be more than fine, provided you've got struts (i.e. shocks) that are compatible with your springing.  

I've got a late '74 with an old iron-block/iron heads SBC that I'm running with 224 lb/in front and back.  And previously, I was running Tokico 5022 springs, which if I recall correctly, are 185 front and 200 rear.  I daily-drive the car in the off-season, and race it pretty regularly summer and fall...mostly auto-x and closed-circuit HPDE.

Good luck with it and be sure to post your results for the benefit of everyone else.

If you don't mind me asking which struts were you running with this setup? I also have the 5.3L setup and I am going to run the 250/200 setup but need some recommendations for struts.

Was running Tokico blues with the Tokico springs.  Switched to Illuminas when I put the 224 lbs/in springs.  I believe most people consider 250 to be the safe upper limit for Illuminas, but I've seen differing opinions.  My next set of shocks will likely be Bilsteins, along with stiffer springs.