HybridZ

5.7 Gen III Hemi Swap Possible?

Hey guys,

So I have a pretty unique scenario going on right now.  My current car is a 2005 chrysler 300c, but a few weeks ago it was stolen and totaled one night while I was at school.  Here's where the z part comes in.  I'm thinking about taking the insurance settlement to buy a 280z and do a restomod and swap the engine for the hemi out of my 300c (I absolutely love my hemi and its in great shape even after the accident).  

I know that the front end will need to be reinforced and will need a better suspension system. Do you think I'd need a tube frame?

I figure I can reuse the engine, transmission, rear dif, and have the drive shaft shortened in order to fit the z.  I would obviously taking all accompanying electronic control units and wiring harnesses.  Do you think the engine and transmission would fit in the z?

If I strip the two cars and do the rust repair myself do you think I could get all of the modifications and additional parts for around 10 grand? If not, how much do you think it would be?

I really appreciate any advice or educated guesses that you could help me out with.  I know its a huge project and as far as I have been able to find nobody has done it before.  At this point I'm just trying to figure out how feasible this actually is while remaining loosely in my budget.

Although GM small blocks have similar displacement to the modern Hemi, their valve configuration is in-line with the length of the block. The Hemi, however, has the valve placement, perpendicular to the block. This results in considerably greater width. You should take some time and measure everything very carefully. There's a strong possibility that it won't fit between the shock towers. Older mustangs, 65-70, that have 4-valve V-8 engines, usually have the shock towers removed and employ mustang II IFS. It absolutely can be done but it may take a fair amount of fab work.