HybridZ

Subaru R180 Diff help **

VitaminZ

Hey guys , looking to swap my diff to the Subaru R180 3.9 , I currently have one available to purchase but Im not sure if its the right year and model .

I know the diff should off a US 04-05 STI , but the diff I am getting is off a 02 JDM STI 3.9 , I'm just trying to ensure this diff is not a Viscous LSD and IS a Clutch type or Torsen  . Or if there are specific number stamps on the ring gear I should be looking for ?

I cant really tell the difference hence why I am seeking your knowledge on this . There are a few pictures attached , not sure if this helps . Any help is greatly appreciated , thanks . 

post-41738-0-86710100-1404797661_thumb.jpg

post-41738-0-57031800-1404797671_thumb.jpg

post-41738-0-46233400-1404797680_thumb.jpg

post-41738-0-05794900-1404797689_thumb.jpg

Edited by OldschoolZ

thanks a lot for this really helped , seems like the first diff I posted here which is kinda hard to tell from the photos is a clutch type lsd , looking through the hole shows the clutch packs , going through the first link you posted even the cover compared to the CLSD cover in the link  looks the same . The viscous type looks much different as well as the cover . But John did say it was a viscous , not sure where im going wrong here . 

Edited by VitaminZ

Mine is now a dedicated track car, I have a 3.9 WRX STI CLSD ready to drop in but I'm wondering if it is better to use the Subie diff or weld the open diff?  I have never driven a car with a welded diff but more than one guy has said that on a track car a welded diff is preferable.  So welded vs CLSD?