HybridZ

v8 swap in 83zxt or not?

Hi gang I'm considering doing a SBC swap on my 83zxt 2 seater car. Question is whether or not to do so. I will add photos of what is available here and what I have on hand.

But...the question is should I attempt the swap or should I attempt to rebuild original? Please feel free to comment folks. I will not take offense at any comments made. I am here to learn and could use all the experience y'all have collectively.

Do you want others to make a decision for you that you might regret?

Only you can make that decision based upon  research and  weighing the pros and cons.

Start with reading every post concerning the swap you want to do.

If you can't decide then don't do it.

If you're not going to learn the 280ZXT engine then the small block is the way to go, since you're familiar with it.  Two days ago you were trying to find someone to work on your engine.  Apparently you haven't found anyone?

Totally different driving experiences between the two, I would guess.  Might be easier to just trade for a Camaro.

It depends on your goals , abilities , and pocketbook . Why are you thinking V8 swap , what's wrong with the OE motor ?

Thank you Domzs! I own a 90' sx with a mild race Sbc conversion and th350 trans too with a 2500 stall converter. That thing is super fun to drive! But, I have owned this 83 280zxt car for a couple years and I'm ready to begin working on it. The turbo motor turns but will not fire. I have been thinking and troubleshooting but looks like the transistor next to the coil is a culprit and possibly the pick up as well.

I appreciate all input folks! Thank you. BOLO

Do you want others to make a decision for you that you might regret?

Only you can make that decision based upon  research and  weighing the pros and cons.

Start with reading every post concerning the swap you want to do.

If you can't decide then don't do it.

Thanks for your input friend. I appreciate it a lot. My problem is the only folks locally here that "say" they can work on it are in their late teens ans early 20's. A bit spooky for this old fart to do. That's the main reason for thinking swap. IF I can get a decent tech here I would absolutely love to keep her with the original engine set up. Mahalos, BOLO

If you're not going to learn the 280ZXT engine then the small block is the way to go, since you're familiar with it.  Two days ago you were trying to find someone to work on your engine.  Apparently you haven't found anyone?

Totally different driving experiences between the two, I would guess.  Might be easier to just trade for a Camaro.

You are correct Newzed. Been looking for a tech for 2 years unsuccessfully. I have a few sbc engines already built and on engine stands as well as a nice selection of automatic Chevy transmissions too. 700r4 old style kick down type, th350 and th400 on hand. So I have been leaning heavily towards the swap.

As for trading to a camaro....I wanted to keep this car as a fun driver to take the wife to Sunday breakfast when I don't feel like driving my 74' stingray around town. Not to mention my grand kids are nearing driving ages and I want to hand these cars down to them in the future. I'm always thinking ahead and that may be my problem. lol Thanks for your input and help. BOLO

Learn to work with the L. You can't beat the l28et. It has a soul all its own.

I believe you are correct my friend. I've raced against these things in high school and they were fast back then. I see some good 1/4 mile times on the Internet nowadays as well. If I could send the car to a tech I would do it. But very hard to find reliable ones here in Hawaii. I'd love to keep her "original" just for the fact that I intend to hend these cars down to my grandkids in the future. I've got 3 grandsons and 4 granddaughters. So, I'm always looking for my next project car. Mahalo friend! BOLO

The turbo motor turns but will not fire. I have been thinking and troubleshooting but looks like the transistor next to the coil is a culprit and possibly the pick up as well.

Here's a fairly easy and cheap ignitor (transistor) swap - http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/285085-hei-ignition-control-module-swap-info-turbos-only.html

The 83 turbo doesn't have "pickups", it has an optical sensor with wave-forming circuit that creates a square wave for the ECU to use, to trigger the ignitor.  The system in the distributor is generally called a CAS, for crank angle sensor.  Could be your problem.  Turbo ZX ignition problems seem to be hard to diagnose.

Oh...also gang I have most of the parts necessary for this conversion if that's the way I decide to go. I need the adapter plates for the mounts on the engine. The triangle shaped ones. But I can fabricate them from 1/4 inch steel and use the measurements from the mounts to do it. Unless someone can send me the numbers on here? I'm also going to need the th350 motorsport transmission mount bracket as well. Unless i go with the 700r4 then ill need the motorsports trans brackets. I got shorty headers, engine mounts, engines, transmissions, electrical wiring, aluminum racing radiators, b and m shifters, high stall converters, etc etc.

But I wanted to get opinions on which to pursue. As was mentioned either learn the l28 or step off the pot right? I take no offense at ANY input or comments folks. I'm simply taking a poll to help me decide what to do. Thank you everyone.

If you might give the Z to a grand kid why not restore it?

A V8 Z for a kid is not a good idea.

Now that....that's a great comment right there miles. Thank you. These are the types of comments I love to see. I will continue this poll thread until I make a final decision on what route to take. I simply am leaning towards the conversion because I have everything I need. But, still would love to keep her straight. Alohas friends, BOLO

+1 for the SBC swap. That being a carb 350 or a LSX. Pull the motor and sell it. Should be able to get a good coin in HI for it as there few around I bet. If you do go LSX and your smart enough to put the square block in the square hole, you can do the swap. The harness just connects to sensors on the motor that for the most part only goes one way. Most worked harnesses only have 2 or 3 wires you have to think on how to hook up. Constant 12v and key on 12v. Bout it. You will be miles ahead in power with eathier v8. If you know something about the gen 1 SBC the gen 3 LSX will just fall into place. DONT over think the wiring!!! Its a small hill to climb not a mountain. A good aftermarket harness is labeled too. Almost plug n play. Good luck!

LSx in an S130 is a little harder than most people think , due to exhaust manifold/header clearance on the driver side ( steering shaft interference ) or have a custom made header , any block hugger header will fit pass side . Everything else is basically like the S30 swap . Must have modified Fbody oil pan to clear steering rack , not sure about gearbox setup ( if it's doable ) .

+1 for the SBC swap. That being a carb 350 or a LSX. Pull the motor and sell it. Should be able to get a good coin in HI for it as there few around I bet. If you do go LSX and your smart enough to put the square block in the square hole, you can do the swap. The harness just connects to sensors on the motor that for the most part only goes one way. Most worked harnesses only have 2 or 3 wires you have to think on how to hook up. Constant 12v and key on 12v. Bout it. You will be miles ahead in power with eathier v8. If you know something about the gen 1 SBC the gen 3 LSX will just fall into place. DONT over think the wiring!!! Its a small hill to climb not a mountain. A good aftermarket harness is labeled too. Almost plug n play. Good luck!

Thank you 240z72!! I've been contemplating doing just that. Pull the driveline and either sell it or store it. I'm a bit of a car parts hoarder lol I really like the idea of something set up to install quickly with wire harnesses like the ls series motors. But my problem comes in the future when I need to fix something. Electrical newbie to the max is what I am. My s13 240sx is a beast with a mild small block Chevy gen1 motor and th350 trans! Reason for thinking about the v8 swap in the 280zx? I've got engines and transmissions sitting in my garage on engine stands built and ready to go. Also have most of the needed conversion parts as well. Awesome post my friend! I appreciate it a lot. Alohas BOLO

Edited by daflyinghawaiin

LSx in an S130 is a little harder than most people think , due to exhaust manifold/header clearance on the driver side ( steering shaft interference ) or have a custom made header , any block hugger header will fit pass side . Everything else is basically like the S30 swap . Must have modified Fbody oil pan to clear steering rack , not sure about gearbox setup ( if it's doable ) .

Thanks Domzs! I have the shorty headers and can modify them if needed to clear the steering arm. Hoping for a smooth swap IF I decide to go that route. Thanks again bud!