HybridZ

Aluminum Hubs, 5 Lug, Big Brakes. New Setup

So I've been working on a 5 lug and big brake setup for the front of the Z cars and this is what I've came up with. Everything is an off the shelf component other than the brake caliper bracket that I make. I currently have brackets for the 6 Piston calipers ready to go, haven't made any for the 4 Piston caliper yet.

It uses a Wilwood Dynapro 6 Piston caliper, 12.2" x 1.1" rotor, Wilwood aluminum hub drilled for 5x4.5 or 5x4.75. Since everything is off the shelf it makes it a fairly budget friendly swap for people trying to get big brakes and 5 lug.

This hub does space the wheel OUT 1/2" from factory. So its not as bad as the 300ZX hub, but it does still space it out farther from factory, which is usually a good thing when trying to find newer/wider wheels.

The caliper bracket is made out of 1/2" Thick 6061 Aluminum. It is flat which makes it very budget friendly.

Anyways, onto some pictures:

post-27433-0-55171200-1405186704_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-19412700-1405186713_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-58534400-1405186722_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-58815800-1405186730_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-76097400-1405186739_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-78859500-1405186751_thumb.jpg

Please excuse my extremely rusty parts car strut. You can see this Wilwood hub uses a behind the hub rotor adapter compared to the common hat mount rotors. This adapter is about 100 dollars cheaper than most hat mount adapters. It is currently sitting on the outside of the rotor, but can be flipped around to sit on the inside face instead. I was using some bolts that were too long for mock up so I had to put it on the front face of the rotor.

Not pictured is an aluminum center cap for the hub that screws into the hub. These wilwood hubs are drilled for 5 x 4.5(Mustang/Nissan/etc) and 5 x 4.75(Chevy/BMW/etc) bolt pattern. They use thread in studs. They fit the Datsun spindle perfect, no modification to hub needed. The dust shield will need modified or removed to fit these brakes though. I think this is a good budget friendly setup for people looking to go 5 lug and get some big brakes at the same time. These hubs are cheaper than the other aluminum options out there. And I'm not into reselling parts, so you can pick those up from wherever you see fit, Autoplicity tends to be the cheapest place I can find them.

Here is the parts list for the setup:

post-27433-0-59356900-1405187078_thumb.png

Hope I'm not out of line posting this setup here since I'm selling caliper brackets for it. The caliper brackets will run $40 SHIPPED for a pair of them if anyone is interested. I've got a few sets ready to ship now. This includes new bolts for the calipers and brackets.

-Will

Edited by wfritts911

Im not sure why the rotor adapter doesn't come up on wilwood's website. You can search for it on Autoplicity or summit and it comes up though. Wilwood only has a couple of rotor adapters for these style hubs, this one is an 8 bolt flange, the other is some other bolt pattern.

Here is a picture with a tape measure of the clearance between the rotor and the ball joint. This is with the ball joint as close to the rotor as it can get, I don't think it ever sees this angle on the car.

post-27433-0-79777000-1405266217_thumb.jpg

-Will

• 3 months later...

Guys,

I just realized I posted the parts list on the first post, did y'all see it? The bearing part numbers should be the same as the Datsun front bearings as well. But the part numbers are SET 2 and SET 6 for the outer and inner bearing sets, respectively. The national seal part number is 340823. Please see the attached picture in the original post, it details out all the parts needed, vendors, and pricing.

Sorry I was late getting back to you on this, been going from 6AM to about 2AM for several days straight, and tonight will be no different. Busy, busy, busy

-Will

No problem man, I could see how they don't seem like part numbers. The individual bearings have normal looking part numbers, but when you get the race and bearing in a set, that's how they are called out. From the sounds of it I will need to make a couple more sets of these. I only have 1 set at the moment.

-Will

• 2 years later...

If anyone is still interested in running this setup but haven't been able to get ahold of wfritts911 for the brackets I am entertaining the thought of starting to make a bunch of these brackets to sell and would love to hear from you guys if you'd be interested.

PM or reply and let me hear your thoughts.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

If anyone is looking to replicate this setup I purchased all the parts brand new and never did anything with it. Make me an offer!!

let me know if you are interested. Located in Michigan... willing to ship. 

Send me your best offer, all brand new still in box. The only thing I don’t have from the list is the wheel bearings, seals, braided line and an adaptor.

I’ll post pics tomorrow.

B4B246E2-F60A-4A2F-A3DF-67935909A1BB.png

Edited by ladams17