HybridZ

What intercooler is best to run for an SR?

jparker893

Isuzu NPR intercoolers seem to be a common budget minded choice for l28et builds. I see no reason it can't be used with the sr.

Do you know the measurements perhaps? there seems to be a couple different sizes

Found this one, it's from a 93' and the CORE DIMENSIONS - 20 X 2 X 8.5 INCHES

END TANK OUTLET PIPES - 2.5 INCHES

http://www.ebay.com/itm/isuzu-NPR-4BD2-INTERCOOLER-turbo-FRONT-MOUNT-KIT-honda-civic-acura-integra-b16-/171198337366?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item27dc375156&vxp=mtr

Just to give you an idea how they fill the front:

DSC_0391_zpsb334c827.jpg

My npr intercooler had the tank outlets cut off and replaced with straight pipes fixed at an angle for easier installation, with the piping routing through the two big holes at the top of the core support.  You can use the outlets the npr has stock, but youll either need to get fancy with your piping, or trim your core support a bit depending on which exact npr intercooler you get (Theyre all similar enough, but the details on them can be slightly different)

Just to give you an idea how they fill the front:

My npr intercooler had the tank outlets cut off and replaced with straight pipes fixed at an angle for easier installation, with the piping routing through the two big holes at the top of the core support.  You can use the outlets the npr has stock, but youll either need to get fancy with your piping, or trim your core support a bit depending on which exact npr intercooler you get (Theyre all similar enough, but the details on them can be slightly different

I found the same one you posted in the pic with the custom straights for sale on ebay and bought it. What did you do piping wise from then on? 

I found the same one you posted in the pic with the custom straights for sale on ebay and bought it. What did you do piping wise from then on? 

Its a 3 piece aluminum set up:

IMG_0242.jpg

1 piece was as simple as could be, literally just an off the shelf 90.  The other 2 pieces, the one right off the turbo, and the one right off the throttle body, were fabricated from various bits and tig welded together.  This pic should ive you some idea of how theyre running/routed.

1 piece was as simple as could be, literally just an off the shelf 90.  The other 2 pieces, the one right off the turbo, and the one right off the throttle body, were fabricated from various bits and tig welded together.  This pic should ive you some idea of how theyre running/routed.

I've got an Sr20det so the routes a little different, but I will check out the 90 degree piece.280Z-9.png

This is the route I have to take

• 3 weeks later...

that is not a pic of your car! You have sourced a pic of my car. Seriously, I call bull.

If you read the entire conversation you can clearly tell he is using your photo to demonstrate the layout differences between an SR and an L series. He makes no claims implying it is his.

• 3 months later...

Ive had good success with parts from CX racing.  My friend knew one of the owners of the company and I was able to go down to their warehouse in socal.  Picked up my pipes from them, couplers, im even sporting one of their t3 turbos on my car.  Only paid like 200 dollars for it at the time brand new, its been serving me well for *years*.  Made a tick over 300 whp on the dyno at our shop at 17.5 psi. Theyve got BB versions now for not much more, im  tempted to get my hands on it and see how it does.