HybridZ

1970 series 1 240z "value... is it worth the $12500?"

branut89

So I found a lower vin 1970 240z the vin is in the 1400's with a supposed 20ishk original miles. It's a really nice looking z the motor has been completely gone through, the frame/underbody is super clean, the paint is exceptionally well, and it's 100% rust free. There are only 2 dilemmas with the car. The first being that the exterior is blue and the interior has been redone as black. This means either it may not be the stock exterior color because the original interior was blue for the blue 240z's, does this hurt the value at all? It's just hard to get a good idea if this is true to color. The second dilemma is after market rocker panel covers, it just looks a little cheesy and is not factory original for the car. Do you guys think it would be worth the $12500? Not sure if I want to pass this opportunity up it may never come around again. The interior is the biggest downer in my opinion. I can get some pics up if wanted. Thanks for any input.

*Update*

test drove the car and its got some electrical issues such as headlights and one side of tail lights not working, also the tranny had some issues engaging into gear. negotiations got the car to 11,000. still not sure if that is worth the price with electrical problems. that being said obviously the car isnt road worthy... is the 11k a steal or would it be best to walk.Thanks.

Z ya'll later

Edited by branut89

Not all blue Z's had a blue interior. White and black were available. Look under the rugs/spare tire well etc to find some original body color if you're worried about it having been repainted.

The price is a steal. Other than checking for great quantities of hiding rust under a non-original paint job, or the mileagle being faked, go, buy it now.  right now. quick.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be wary, but have a real mechanic check it out for you. Someone who knows S30's  Put down a deposit so the Mech doesn't buy it from under you hehe.  No really have it checked out.  if it's only 20K miles then a lot of the factory marks should still be underneath on the driveshaft etc.  If it's been restored then it all depends on the job they did.  Get some felt and a magnet to check for bondo especially on the rear quarters.  Pictures aren't showing any of the series 1 features. like the emblems or vents.  Those seats look like replacements. Stock was all vinyl.  definitely get a good look underneath. often you'll see dents and such on low mileage I'd expect it to be relatively clean. 

I am going to agree with Danger Dan, Those panels are covering up something most likely rust in the dog leg between the door and rear fender. The clutch petal shows a lot more wear than 20,000 miles. Parts under the hood have been re-plated and the dash is a cap. The car looks nice and do not get me wrong but it is not being represent for what it really is. I also know of a guy who use to be in California and his last known residence was Colorado. He was cleaning up the external motors from junk yard L series motors and selling them as 3.1. Be careful the story is not adding up to the photos. I have seen great cars sell for $10,000 this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree.  This car has a lot of questionable characteristics.  It probably has more like 120,000 miles on it than 20,000.  

Heck - I've got serial #1779 that needs a total restoration and you could have it for $800.  It originally was a pale blue with a black interior.

FWIW - Haggertys says my Series 1 in average condition is worth about $14K.  Not sure who would pay that but that's what they say.

Edited by Phantom

Not all blue Z's had a blue interior. White and black were available. Look under the rugs/spare tire well etc to find some original body color if you're worried about it having been repainted.

The price is a steal. Other than checking for great quantities of hiding rust under a non-original paint job, or the mileagle being faked, go, buy it now.  right now. quick.

I will second this. . . I don't know where this information is coming from, but most Blue Z's I've seen have the WHITE interior. I don't ever recall a blue/blue car...maybe... I just never saw one. Orange with Blue, absolutely hideous but stock 100%!

I love people claiming 5 digit mileages who are too stupid to change the rubber pedal covers. Call him on documentation for the mileage, then pay a bunch of money. They aren't making them any more, and early cars are selling for five digits as unmolested originals, or decent resprays with mechanical/cosmetic freshening.

The 'aftermarket rocker covers' are dealer option tack ons we all have to suffer removing and filling of the holes.It's period correct and for an early car pulling it off makes for holes you have to explain.

The seats have cheap covers, as does the center console. It's got a hand throttle...but being stuck on the 'American Psycho' Pseudonym of "Series 1" which means absolutely nothing anywhere but in America...who knows what it is... 

It's not "as represented" from what is shown. The price? For a car that doesn't shift right? That has lights out? No... not $10K. But somewhere around there as none of it is a big deal to repair. It's top dollar for what it is, I would not go to that point unless the lights and shifting was corrected. Then maybe $10K... Not 12.5 with cheap seat covers and obviously recad plated underhood items trying to make it look like its original unmolested. Which is what they're trying to do here. Poor Form.

To paraphrase as some comedian once said: "What's it feel like to WAN(NNA)T?" 

Edited by Tony D

FWIW - Haggertys says my Series 1 in average condition is worth about $14K.  Not sure who would pay that but that's what they say.

Haggery's idea of "average" or even "fair" is still a pretty nice car. BTW - are you still trying to find a home for that car? Last I heard from you, it sounded like you were about done with it. Would be nice to see someone do something with it.

#3 cars could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 car, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior. #3 cars drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These cars are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 car.

#4 cars are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the fender has a minor dent. The interior could have split seams or a cracked dash. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or the interior might not be stock. A #4 car can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 car.

I will second this. . . I don't know where this information is coming from, but most Blue Z's I've seen have the WHITE interior. I don't ever recall a blue/blue car...maybe... I just never saw one. Orange with Blue, absolutely hideous but stock 100%!

Orange on blue? Jesus, were they color blind?

Edited by rturbo 930

I am always encouraged at the cost of "Condition 7" cars.... It seems cheap, but when you got 30 of them laying around you start going "well, I could restore these in my retirement, or buy one hell of a nice cottage on the lake and lay in a BIG stock of Rum..."

An inebriated retirement, or one spend wrenching.... decisions decisions...

And yes, Orange Paint, Blue Interior. First Shipment. Factory Resprays in a Port Facility to have a snowball's chance in hell of selling them in the USA.

Edited by Tony D