HybridZ

Controlling ls2 coil with ground signal?

Hi,

I have AEM 1 series EMS. It only have ground control for coils. I was thinking can I wire up +5v to trigger input and with ground signal control spark? I did not find any info about this. Those coils are so powerfull and cheap so I really like to use them.

Thanks!

Edited by nimeton

The description about the AEM EMS is rather VAGUE.  The EMS system likely applies a ground to the ignition coils to fire each.  Don't know what you are trying to accomplish.  What are you trying to TRIGGER?  If you are talking about the Crankshaft sensor, it needs input from a variable reluctance (VR or “mag”) or hall-effect (+5 to +12 vdc signal) sensor.  Don't know which coils are being talked about.

Further to this discussion, after having looked at the AEM EMS install manual, the AEM ignition coils have (3) three terminals as likely opposed to (2) two terminals for the GM ignition coils.  The AEM coils have the high current driver embedded within the coil package and the driver is fed with a +5 vdc pulse to fire the individual coils as timed by the AEM EMS computer.  Therefore the GM coils cannot be used as a replacement for the AEM coils.  Maybe this is what you are after.

Does the AEM Series 1 do COP (near/at) or individual coil control.  There's not much out on the internet about the AEM Series 1.  Did you get instructions with it?  Post a part number, the Series 1 probably wasn't named until they came out with Series 2.

Most of the AEM internet stuff is about plug-n-play in to factory harnesses.

This series 1 have 10 individual coil control feature. It can control dummy coils on V10 engine whit sequential control. Problem is that control signal is "power ground" signal for dummy coils and I like to use GM LS2 coil because this coils have extremely powerful spark and cheap price.

My ems part number is 30-1900U

AEM says yours won't do internal "igniter" coils, the system has its own dwell control.  Anyway, the LS2 coil itself isn't extremely powerful, it's the coil and its control system combined that get things done.  You could probably find a way to bypass/hack the LS2 coils' internal igniter, which might be fun, but there must be comparable "dumb" coils out there.  

There's an AEM forum out there that might have some ideas -  http://www.aempower.com

post-8864-0-58518800-1406390725_thumb.png