HybridZ

RB engine shop referrals Los Angeles area ?

SuperSamuri

Looking for recommendations for a shop in the Los Angeles area familiar with the RB engine ?

I was looking for a replacement R200 on CL for my '71 and ended up buying a "73 with a R33 RB25DET installed. :rolleyes:

Runs and drives, mostly stock except for HKS bov, (yup and a Fram filter)

Looking to pay a shop for an engine inspection / assessment. The engine wiring has several connectors not connected to anything, and it does sometimes stumble / hesitate under full power.

It is also significantly slower than my "71 with a L28  Holley blow through turbo.

I will be pulling the drivetrain to replace the horribly patched and botched floorpans, but I would like an "experts" opinion of the install and at least get it running smoothly before I pull it all out. 

My first jobs are to overhaul the sticking brakes and to replace the valve cover gaskets, which leads to my next question on how to check the oil level, with the sump reversed to clear the crossmember (?) the oil level dipstick is now at the shallow end of the sump. 

Is the RB 25 oil capacity different with the replacement sump ? I read 7 quarts and also 6 quarts plus filling filter.

appreciated,

0153E29E-FB97-4124-88B0-1A61F3D4AA92_zps

C1D70621-EEB3-4CA6-95C6-76694C0D62D1_zps

6AD008FC-138B-40FD-BD1F-EBA230507DF6_zps

I believe you can switch the dipstick tube to the rear on the 25. I know for a fact on the RB20 (as thats what I have), and I would assume the other RB's as well, there is a plug where a factory rear sump dipstick tube would go. Locate that plug (little bit back from the stock dipstick location), drive it out, put the dipstick in there, and drive the plug in the front dipstick hole.

Is your engine running aftermarket engine management? Since you said mostly stock I would assume not. If thats the case, is your ECU tuned for vent to atmosphere BOV? The loss of air on a MAF car can really screw with the stock ECU and cause it to want to cut off on decel. You didnt say this was an issue but I'm just curious.

Check for boost leaks though. Looks like you have a lot of intercooler couplers; lots of places for boost leaks. Something might open up under boost. Not saying thats what it is but it's an easy check.

As for the shop in LA can't be much help there. Sort of on the other side of the US.....

Edited by R3VO 3VOM

Thank you R3VO 3VOM, 

Stock factory ECU, no cutting out, just occasional flat spot / hesitation under full load along with an occasional erratic cold idle speed.

Just beginning to go through the car , changing the fluids and checking  the inter cooler pipes, PO had mentioned they worked their way loose.

Call VR racing in Bakersfield they have a few skylines and RB engines in cars. Maybe they can help. McKinney works on RBs also south side LA.

Thank you, McKinney is under 2hrs away, and i think that some of the parts used in the swap by the PO may have came from them.

Bleeding the brakes last in my garage around midnight , looked up and I have 2 LAPD police officers investigating a noise complaint :rolleyes: , - agreed that i was doing nothing wrong, but apparently I have a new "sensitive" neighbor" in the condo building further down the street. I suspect the same "lady" who asked my son not to skateboard at 11am a couple of days before.   

Thank you, McKinney is under 2hrs away, and i think that some of the parts used in the swap by the PO may have came from them.

Bleeding the brakes last in my garage around midnight , looked up and I have 2 LAPD police officers investigating a noise complaint :rolleyes: , - agreed that i was doing nothing wrong, but apparently I have a new "sensitive" neighbor" in the condo building further down the street. I suspect the same "lady" who asked my son not to skateboard at 11am a couple of days before.   

I'm south of Los Angeles by an hour and found a place in Westminster called JER performance. They have accomplished a handful of RB swaps and I talked to them about doing mine. Nice guys.

I'm south of Los Angeles by an hour and found a place in Westminster called JER performance. They have accomplished a handful of RB swaps and I talked to them about doing mine. Nice guys.

Appreciated, coincidently JER was also recommended by an owner of a 240 with an RB swap.

Removing the sump was an ordeal using a putty knife to cut through the grey sealant. Raised the engine after unbolting both engine mounts from the crossmember.

The  front mounted oil dipstick tube pulled out with some minor persuasion, and the blanking plug for the rear location popped out easily ( flew across the garage floor and took 10 min to find)

The sump has had part of the baffles cut out :blink: and the area around the drain plug has a dent. (possibly the baffles were cut out to bash out a larger dent ?) 

Have to replace the steering rack bellows, the bushings and balljoints are worn and the stock front calipers are sticking so might as well drop the crossmember and overhaul the front end.

• 2 months later...

I can also recommend JER Development, so far their RB26 swap onto my '73 is solid, will prove it soon when I start tracking it. No overheating, smooth idle and revs, no issues so far. Lots of custom mount pieces, fitting RB25 pan, super nice custom stainless exhaust, etc. Great communication, too, Linh is patient and listens, gives options for your specific needs.