HybridZ

LED Tail lights (My new set up by ZLEDsLIGHTS.com)

Well the original lights are dim, use a lot of power, and are not easily seen in many instances.  This is by far a better application than what was originally available.  LED technology is better all around. 

If you are modifying the car then lighting should be on your list considering the weak electrical systems that these cars have that are 40+ years old.  It just makes sense.  

If you have an all original car unmolested, then maybe this is not the thing for you...... but then you most likely would not be on hybridz.........

I get the reason and benefits of LED lighting. The amount of bulbs per light is what i don't like. It looks cheesy and "ricey" but hey this is just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been exchanging emails with him.

He is NOT in postion to just sell the components at this time but is working on it.

The tail light kits all include LED backup lights even if they are not mentioned in the description.

At this point he does NOT have LED kits for the front turn signals or the side lights - in for a penny, in for a pound. :-)

I am working with him at this point on the other lights but it will be the end of October before I'll be able to send him my lights for conversion. Shortly after that I'll provide him with photos of the installation for all to comment on.

My 240Z didn't come with the og lenses the P/O installed some trailer lights to make it look like a Ferrari. What would the extra cost be if he included them?

Contact him...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-240z-LED-TAIL-LIGHT-/231315452500?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A240Z&hash=item35db79b254&vxp=mtr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That looks great but is insanely expensive for some high-output LEDs and an IC.

The last time I messed around with LED lighting, I probably spent a hundred hours fiddling around, trying to get the proper resistor and transistor values, sourcing the LED's, figuring out the amperage loads, how to use the 555 chip, etc. etc.  and while what I ended up with worked, it didn't look NEARLY as nice as this guy's stuff.   You're not paying for the parts, my friend.  You're paying for the knowledge. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, October came and went because my commission check from a sale made in February didn't arrive until last week.  

MAJOR lighting project for the 280Z28 over the next couple months to include:

HID headlights

Higher intensity dash lights with white face gauge kit

LED tail lights

LED front turn signals

LED side marker lights.

Taking the car into the 21st century with it's lighting.  It will be nice to know people behind me will be able to see my brake lights and turn signals. I actually had a Washington State Policeman pull me over because my turn signals on a sunny day were so dim he could barely see them. Won't have that problem any more.

We'll see what is left after that and maybe I'll take a shot at the TTT rear brake set-up.

Edited by Phantom

• 2 weeks later...

I went out and took some videos of the exterior lights on the 280Z.  The videos were taken on an overcast day so the lights weren't as bleached out as they would be on a bright sunny day but they will probably still be good for comparison sake once the LED's are installed.

Here are the OEM original lights:

IMG_4729.MOV

IMG_4730.MOV

• 4 months later...

So my lights shipped via USPS yesterday.  I also got an email from Samuel that indicated that I need to get a turn signal/emergency flasher that is compatible with the LED's.  It would have been nice if he'd told me that when I asked him 3 months ago so that I could have had it here and installed already. He gave me a link to a website where I could get one but they do not advertise any modules for a Datsun. I fired them an email asking them if they do but not hopeful at this point.   :-(

Guess I need to just get the one out of my car and go to AutoZone and see if they have one.

Edited by Phantom