HybridZ

Aftermarket Gauge Setup

So im not very good at reading blue prints and electrical diagrams or electrical for that matter... so i was wondering how you guys wired in your aftermarket gauges. I have speed hut gauges and i know my speedo has a constant 12v wire and then a ignition wire and the rest of the gauges should just be ignition. So i wasnt sure if i just splice it to the old wires. I'm pretty sure they are a different gauge wire but does that matter ? Please let me know how you went about doing your gauges. Also i have a 72' 240z

I just installed some Speedhut Gauges myself. I just spliced into the existing wires and tapped into the wire from the key that goes hot. I don't recall that color because I really tapped into my wire that is running to my radio that is connected to the ignition wire. 

The only weird thing so far is since I have the headlight relay installed, the high beam light comes on when I have the low beams on. Happened occasionally on the stock speedo too.

Depending on the gauge it will have a plug to the harness, just remove the factory gauge with the harness and cut the wires off partway to make yourself a pigtail with the correct plug. 

^I think your problem may have to do with the headlight selector switch/blinker assembly. My selector box disintegrated when I looked at it funny. I have a 3 way switch now to select between beams. Much simpler I think.

The stock wiring is more than sufficient for SpeedHut. The Speedhut gauges use very little current relative to the stock gauges/dash lights. The main difference is the LEDs replacing the filament bulbs. Just be sure for the ignition gauge wires to select any one of the harness wires that supplies IGN current, not accessory as the accessory lines are shut-off during cranking.