HybridZ

fuel pressure regulator suggestions.

gorillaman2012

The stock system already uses a return line and calibrated orifice to allow for variable fuel pressure at variable RPM/Load Conditions.

Have you removed the FO and gone with a deadheaded fuel rail or something?

Why would you need a fuell pressure regulator with the stock setup?

Hahah I do say that a lot. To be serious though the setup I bought from a member here and was told he ran a 390cfm holley 4 barrel carb on it. Well I got it all put together and at the moment the fuel line is direct from the mechanical pump to the carb. Went to go and turn it over and the carb dumped fuel in like crazy from being over pressurized. Now I'm just trying to find a regulator so it doesn't to that but also uses the return line so the extra fuel has a place to go so I don't wear out the pump to soon.

Make sure the Holley Floats aren't stuck down from being bashed about in shipping.

Then get a gauge on the line, 3.5psi is enough..,and that's about all you should get if you had the return line installed with the orifice (2mm?)

Now, you say "turbo setup" which to me means you got a huffed on there, in which case a boost-pressurised regulator will be necessary, and the mechanical pump chamber will need a boost reference line to up pressure under boost as well...

Meaning "more complete information on the setup, please"...

The carb has been rebuilt. Cleaned out and gone through once I got it. As for the turbo it is a draw through and pretty basic. I was told it's an old kit made by a company called cartech. Most of the info I've gotten on it is all over the place and hasn't been clear. All I know when looking at it it will work for some lower boost settings but has the ability to go more. The external wastegate for it I can recognize was built by turbonetics but the turbo itself the plate on it doesn't really tell me anything. I know the info isn't much and pretty scattered but it's where I'm at also.

Draw-through is what needed to be stated.

Run a "T" on the fuel feed to the carb, and attach the return line to the feed, using a 2mm orifice (or needle valve) to trim for 3.5 psi at idle....and that will get you going.

I prefer backpressure regulators, rather than upstream restriction. Summit or Jegs has a basketfull of them.

You can play around with Holley jets stuffed in the return line to get the pressure you want just to get it running.

Ideally one of those fancy regulators connected to,your vacuum source on the manifold can be used. It nice to snap-throttle closed, and the fuel pressure drops quickly--helps prevent high rpm drop-throttle sinking of the floats.

I digress...

• 7 months later...

Ohh shit; I don't know my arse from an inlet... Tony D.: I've got another thread on this fuel pump and regulator issue and I'm not getting feedback.

We have an '83 Turbo going in our '72 and we just hung the fuel cell which is being used as our primary tank. My question(s) is: I want an in-line pump recommendation and now I want to know where I put a regulator and regulate to what pressure? Can you help? I've got new 3/8 rigid fuel line to engine compartment and 8an tubing at the cell where if like to plumb the pump, filters and regulator.

Can you help me clear up pressures and fixture locations?post-44185-0-01473000-1428033076_thumb.jpg

We'll be fabricating a chase/cover for these items around new filler neck, breather, and Fatts Rollover tubing - maybe I can squeeze the pump and regulated under it as well.