HybridZ

engine rebuilt, oil leak?

Perfect240z

I just finished bolting the head down and a few minutes later I see an oil leak down the sides of the block. It can only be from the oil from installing the cam and rockers, or the little oil I put on the head bolts. Should I be worried about this? Or am I going to have to restart?

It could be residual oil, from the block or the cylinder head bolts, that is my guess since there is not much indication where you exactly see the oil and do not know what you have whether it be rebuilding the whole motor or just installing a new head, if i was to take a guess it should be fine as long as you torque everything to spec.,

Or, your gasket isn't crushed properly and indeed you have a leak out of one or both of the oil passages the head gasket seals going from block to head. Run it...if it's a leak it will continue and you may need a retorque or completely new gasket. If it stops in short order, it was 'residual' and move on...

Without better description or photos.....the thread is useless.

Sorry about the non photos.  I was having some issues with my camera.  Here's the photos on both sides of the block, I followed the directions torquing each bolt in 20 ft pounds increments up to 61ft pounds.  I haven't separated the head and block until I hear from some members on here.  I have ordered a new HG just in case I do for sure have to switch out the gasket.

post-15914-0-77827400-1407732466_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-45150700-1407732485_thumb.jpg

No i havent run the motor yet. I started freaking out when I saw the oil start leaking from the sides. I only put the little grease on the cam during rocker install and a little on the head bolts.

Just wondering if I have to remove the head and switch out the head gasket.

I think this is panic over nothing. The gasket didn't cause these leaks, sloppy application did.

You got a long way to go before you know. Prelubing the engine will accomplish little with oil spray bar missing.

Im just making sure this is not something that can't ruin my hg.  

Thats kind of harsh... I haven't been sloppy with the build, and have followed the directions on the rebuild :(

Only thing I didn't have to do is rebuild the bottom end since it was just fine.  

I can get the oil pump hooked up and spin it to see what it looks like.  Im ordering a new spray bar from Larry once I get his new contact info.  

Thanks for the info guys, I'll get back to it and see what it looks like and let you know how it goes.