HybridZ

Adaptronic vs AEM S2 w/Rawbrokerage promod turbo

Vandergriff84

Ok, so I have decided to go ahead and get a standalone for my RB25det Z and I am looking for some input on a few things.

First off, I have been talking to coolwhip about the Adaptronic ECU that they are selling which is a good price but I have never heard of them. I know a few of you guys are using the AEM S2 and the haltech which I know have been proven over the years but the rep is saying that the Adaptronic actually responds better to the stock sensors. Has anyone here used one of these and would you consider it to be a good purchase for a mild build?

Secondly, I am also interested in the Pro mod turbo that they are selling at Raw as well and I am curious see if anyone has bought one and if they work well for street use. I am not looking for high HP and I think the rated 450hp would be pushing the limit for my weekend drives but I don't want to send off my perfectly good turbo and replace it with something that is lacking on lower RPMs.

Obviously if I go with a turbo upgrade I am planning to increase the fuel with larger injectors but I want to make sure that I am not spending a lot of money for nothing. I welcome any suggestions on other mods that might be worth looking into.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently bought the a pro mod style turbo from pure turbos. pureturbos It took them 4 weeks to get it to me, but now that I have it, I am very happy with the work they did.  Before I bought from them I contacted raw brokerage through Coolwhip on this site, and this is the info I got on the pro mod turbos: 

theczechone
Sent 04 June 2014 - 06:17 AM
Hi, 
I noticed that you are associated with Raw Brokerage and I had a few questions. 
I am interested in the RB25DET Pro Mod Billet Turbo Upgrade. 
Core charge, what condition does the core need to be for you to accept it? 
Turbo Performance, do you have any dyno data available on this turbo charger? Compressor map?
Availability, how soon could I expect my turbo if I order by the beginning of next week. 

Thank you, and sorry for bothering you if you are not the right contact for this. 

Coolwhip
Hi there.

Core must be in rebuildable condition.  So must have good housings and wastegate.  Wheels can be damaged along with center section.

We don't have any base dyno sheets available since every setup has differ (fuel, injectors, boost level, engine build components, engine management, etc.).  No compressor map available either, sorry.

Most customers find a reliable 400whp on a 9.0:1 CR RB25 ~18psi with supporting mods and solid tune.

Turn around time is roughly 4 weeks from the time we receive your turbo.  This time changes as orders come in and out so a more accurate turn around is given upon receiving your order and core.

Hope that helps.

Ricky

theczechone
Thank you, 
That does help. Now about ordering.
Do I just order through the site?
Do I have to pay the core charge and then you'll reimburse me when you receive the turbo? Or do I send in the turbo and then make a call to make the order?
Is there a place where I can mention you for helping me order if I order online?
Can I pay through paypal? 

Thanks again for all the help

theczechone
Sent 11 June 2014 - 07:28 AM
Any info on this? Thanks

Coolwhip
Sent A week ago
Hey extremely sorry about not seeing this message previously..  To answer some of your questions:

As of recently, Pro Mod Turbos are not available for online purchasing.  Due to extended turn around time frame of 8-10 weeks on these to get built.

If providing a core, you must provide it before hand.  We will modify your core and return it back to you.  If not, we will provide a core and build it to order.

I can set your order up if you like, just email me at ricky@rawbrokerage.com or give me a call at the shop (407) 538-0098

Thanks!
Ricky

Thanks for the info on that. I am anxious to see how that turbo works on your car. No pressure =)

So I have been looking at these new MS3 computers from Megasquirt which are supposed to be able to work with the stock CAS and I like the idea of the whole DIY thing but I am completely inexperienced with tuning so I am a little hesitant to go for it. Has anyone else here done any tuning with Megasquirt comps and if so, how difficult would you say it is to get a base map up and running? Are these more or less comparable to the leading AEM and Haltech? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok so here is a good question, what is the difference between the RAW pro mod and the pure turbo ? both inconel billet wheels, both 54  trims compressors and both on the stock turbo frame.  there can only be a few places that will do this work so im almost assuming they are being done at the same place. and pure turbo is much cheaper!

http://www.pureturbos.com/store/oem-factory-replacement-turbochargers/nissan-rebuilt-remanufactured-turbocharger-repair/nissan-rb25det-billet-upgrade-turbo.html

• 3 months later...

So I still haven't been able to fire her up, so I can't report on how it works. I did get a line kit, as the oil pressure to the turbo is crucial. It requires more oil then the factory, pureturbos specified that the restriction orifice should be no smaller then 0.065" so be aware of that.

The fact that we average 0 degree Fahrenheit temps has made it difficult to get out in the garage and work on the car so the progress has been slow.

I have a Wolf V500 ecu, that suppose to be very similar to the AEM unit, but to be honest I am complete noob in tunning. I got the base map so I should be able to fire her up once I finish all the wiring and IC piping.  

I hear you on the cold weather. Although I am sure it is nothing compared what you guys are faced with up north it has been pretty cold down here as well. Either my clutch master or slave went a while back and I haven't had the time or decent weather to work on fixing it. I am a noob as well with the tuning aspect and I am a little scared to try and mess with the EMS until I have some one around that has some experience. I am hoping that I still have an extra CAS to use with the AEM disc. I am starting to think that I might hold off on the turbo upgrade until I get some feedback from you and anyone else that I can find that has done it. I still have to modify my intake to fit the Q45 TB which is going to take some time.

I can't wait to see the numbers you get it on the dyno.

ah are you changing the angle on your intake flange so you have more clearance for the throttle body? 

I am an engineer at a powertrain company up here, so I have some access to calibration and controls engineer friends so i hope to leverage that.

It'll be a while before the dyno runs. The goal right now is to start it, and confirm that all the systems are functional, then I will pull the engine and the whole car has to go to paint. Fine tuning and dyno runs will happen at the beginning of next year realistically, so i don't think you want to wait that long. 

I assume you read this thread: http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=511084&page=2

If you look passed the B.S. in the thread the guys numbers actually make sense. Here is quick calc. of the pressure required to make 328 HP.

post-12001-0-77400600-1424351149_thumb.png

Yeah, the intake flange has been on the to do list for a while now. I have been running it with the stock TB and a 1/2" adapter plate that I made which surprisingly works.

I took a peek at the zilvia thread which gave me a headache. There is some good info there if you can get past all the name calling =)

I have been watching all the videos from AEM and I am thinking that I might go ahead and work on non boost tuning and see how it goes. Once I have the bugs worked out I will probably get the upgrade turbo and get some boost tuning on the dyno.

• 1 month later...