HybridZ

Mckinney and CRXracing one in the same!?

ZachDaaron

So while searching the web for custom headers, I fell onto some interesting info.. 

We all know CRXracing is notorious for their poor customer service and cheap product.. but according to the Mckinney web site and an old thread from Zilvia made by CRXracing, the two companies are one in the same! or at least share the same exact product... which raises some questions: are people's reviews getting skewed because of previous skepticism? no one seems to complain about Mckinney exept one man who was having extremely poor communication with the company, but everyone is quick to jump on the bandwagon against CRXracing.

these are the pieces that brought me to this conclusion:

look at post #5

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=461047

IDENTICAL header photo used here

http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_240+260+280Z+parts

The real kicker is that Mckinney jumps the price an extra $100 for the SAME EXACT PRODUCT

I don't think that's proof of anything, there's another more likely possibility: contract manufactured

You'd get a discount if you ordered 20pcs too... unless you have some advertising agreement, how you priced your re-sale is up to you

Edited by G-E

CRXracing stated that those photos are of their custom product made in their own shop before having them mass produced. Unless Mckinney is buying CRXracing headers for resale, i cant see any other explanation. If they do buy from CRXracing, how come you only hear about poor quality from CRXracing? It is the same product!

On my system, Windows 7 with Chrome, you can right click to search the internet for an image.  There does seem to be some overlap in use of that image.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Thick-Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold-For-Nissan-RB20-RB25-RB25DET-NEW-DESIGN-/181319905462

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZivff0zzTOv2fE7SDI9-yYg7PHzdmO8WOm8RVjjVRqUWaZ19QV-VF6png_1iqY-NlrUl1ftef05aCgF6ub5ioRMxvl46WjqCqqGvNoBS_1fR95nZ_1vkt1i1CugT2w3o_12_1YjUm-TZRW8GpaCEmdNQuNko2gullyAHDvFbqdRqF41gFO4HE8Eh5ffXIIHwgTA-EbypbKk-FHrsIBc6hKp3ZARqgfLTyR1aoyW-WfLMg_1YOumGqAnHOyDOw_1KHImltAdX5RugJATyYVSVb2Uv3hvydI5xmvhynuJt6XQZeD9zqOUqphZ_1tTlofl-eyvTTNOeEoTFe57T_1duA2bHV-ajR_1zkMkYnHoClrh1raVob7n3vWmkbh2c-aHOk5LL8eFvPBlEakk9VtNEVpQMn_1-pkHZFVC4h9esRNZHn36LvMTlas1e8fLOrKuj89uhnZ_1AgHVsEe7yPBDW0MR8pMMq74pA5K17dvm3aVUAbXJu8V9vZKN33fmI5tLNdWC1yALSDw09y0JX4_1U5wtYy6pUB8DAmpAtTFsPuMru5DPj7LkyfOcN872rm6it5d2HljJQnnFxIQDYsmkOuzWtz_14UsXCW35pafAk4jAivylYMOX4jCeSSw4sZDpTiPUkmeI82HIqoTkfM8_1NOxk2XEAwRek8oZxSBhyf-GgSjNVuT-9qkAo9K728cxdI-V686f2H6SL2g7J9nZy-Y-joeYbaZkRNOb-7X-qcCGD6eB1iGbBDTFTfoKk0OSgBq_1p64yc6SCP23YZiMYmHiY_1WIsATd-isfDugSS0Q2ZMsUxedpCI_1r1YlMXNV8hIQ9nYHbJURglpMr1fU2qT6CkAD0d0V_17eBvDUz_16qsRu6_18W36AOj6EcrmiMhRjxoK1_1cMBb3X7OaQCVbgy4nl1za-ZRfUD_1CNCooo8wMiI_1gmK1FTOdBo2FN_1Bw82UpObqE7BWprJY25uRh3zv6JPE6RGRyKIHQUrgaskFn52fq1kA3zJgWjMHYiJ6gBbS-JAaxQPwbeqQQzMl73xaX8Eb4maZwhhAOwg_1JKr1JzYg-M0IdHiPi1xJbXg6P_1AJ3SQJcPaI6u85r1k62iV1MmO3MyQ30yukdRqk68-L8iJyf1t2J9V3Sa2342NckOr5zIu5VTaDdN8elu2PR-LQj38iHF5B5yqtWzI_1TdR7V7shk8CAJDO1uDo-yXcOFZ9wc2WgSfgBob_1H6ozdYM8wbe0Gh_1Q5beMxV5eGlZ7M483b1EXJpu6JPWaAtFrxEDfftiRtn1i62WatXYhO5Lma2QHbQ9e08erh_1FPux26GQypXDzyo-xru6tlbPFpbpW-OWtqEZXnn4JHxWCX-qEfUqSOzKEu4eFqaw0yB1PH6lgQSyxQAx1aen8Uzpx1XfWhlTfqSYKO06KwMUSMshNduT6p_1Y5-_1fcVq4y2Lkflrm3CMfwE8hIAaRHNVurLhWuLbMp1HoJzLv85_1vRsXG7ESHREK

Ok, so I see where it seems the same picture is being used for the manifold but everything else is completely different. A side from the pictures and the difference in there mounts and such I am pretty sure that McKinney has been making their kits for ten or more years now where as the CRX kits have only been around for the last year or so. Its no big deal if to venders go in on joint ventures to sell the same part as long as they both stand behind the product. If its cheaper from one vender then so be it. As far as I can see from the pictures that have been posted from CRX in regards to the rest of their swap parts the McKinney parts are far superior.

A few things I would consider: header designs are rarely patented/protected by IP, people often source generic parts/designs to make kits, and people often double up generic images of products. Another thing to consider, what if CRX has McKinney "mass produce" the headers? It's quite possible that some of the products CRX sells are good, some are garbage, but it's the poor customer service pushing the needle into the hate zone.

McKinney also aren't making their radiators, intercoolers, and most of the random other parts, so it also wouldn't surprise me if they were sourcing headers/designs from somewhere else and happened to overlap with CRX. I have done business with McKinney and their customer service made all the difference with the couple issues I had. I knew I was spending more money for things I could fab up or buy piece meal, but the service and time savings were worth it to me.

I dunno, I'm a dealer for CXR and haven't had any issues with their customer service.  But the difference is that I'm a shop, and you guys are just consumer, so you guys may place one or two orders, but I've placed several hundred.  Don't take it the wrong way, but maybe CXR has their priorities mixed up a little.  

(insert shameless plug here) if you guys want some CXR stuff let me know, am more than willing to help other Z folks

• 2 months later...

I don't think there is.  I know turbo's carry a 90 day warranty lol.

I know that we use their manifolds for 2jz guys, with no problems whatsoever.  Also, I have one for my old rb20 with no problems either.  

Edited by ihiryu