HybridZ

How i've always removed spindle pins

Surely this method always renders the pin unusable however i've done 4 sets of strut tubes so far and each time this is how i've removed them. Some require a little cleaning of the bore before reassembly with new pins.  I simply use a die or small tear of sandpaper on a slotted arbor and chase the inside of the hole to deburr it. Some cars had sat longer than others but this particular set was a stock pin on a 73 strut tube so its been in there awhile. In addition, notice the arm is missing.  The person I got these tubes from got sick of fighting the spindle pin and cut the knuckles of the suspension arm clean off before shipping them to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXvHQGbcqlk&feature=youtu.be

Hope this will help someone out.

I laughed pretty hard when I opened the box they were shipped in.  I've seen a lot of people struggle with them and post about how to get them out so I figured i'd show it.  Some are harder than others.  I've had to cut them off flush before with the strut tube before hammering with the air hammer but they all still eventually came out without damaging the strut tube.

I've always been leery of a press on anything after ruining a few half shafts.  The press always wins but are necessary sometimes for certain things. A press to me is kind of like a boat. Its always best when its someone other than myself that owns it .  I imagine a hand pump press would work but this is something most people can do fairly cheap and won't take up space in my teeny garage.  It doesn't take a monster compressor to run an air hammer it just might take you a little longer letting it cycle if it has a small tank.  Most small compressors with any kind of tank people typically would have in their garage would run an air hammer in short bursts. The air hammer itself is very inexpensive.  One thing to check if you start and initially the pin does not move, look in the center where the locking pin was and make sure the locking pin didn't burr the spindle pin there in that hole.  Sometime its best to run a die inside that hole where the locking pin was and clean it nice and smooth before attempting to dislodge the spindle pin itself. Good luck!!!

Edited by motomanmike