HybridZ

I want to build 10 second car. From where should I start?

mistafosta-why do you feel the 28 is too tall?  The tall tire lets me get thru the timing lights in 3rd gear in the 1/8th.  I started with a 26" tire, which was great for 1/4-mile using 4th gear.  But the 26" tire puts my 3-4 shift at a funny place on the track.  I'm trying to bracket against guys with autos (its not a very competitive track), and one less gear change really helps, especially if the 3-4 shift was almost at the very end of the track.  It was kind of like, shift to 4 and immediately get on the brakes.  Crazy question for the smart guys:  if both tires (26 vs 28) hook the same, would a taller tire in and of itself lead to more breakage?  I ask this in all sincerity.  I have gone back to a 9" wide tire.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mistafosta-why do you feel the 28 is too tall?  The tall tire lets me get thru the timing lights in 3rd gear in the 1/8th.  I started with a 26" tire, which was great for 1/4-mile using 4th gear.  But the 26" tire puts my 3-4 shift at a funny place on the track.  I'm trying to bracket against guys with autos (its not a very competitive track), and one less gear change really helps, especially if the 3-4 shift was almost at the very end of the track.  It was kind of like, shift to 4 and immediately get on the brakes.  Crazy question for the smart guys:  if both tires (26 vs 28) hook the same, would a taller tire in and of itself lead to more breakage?  I ask this in all sincerity.  I have gone back to a 9" wide tire.

First of all a taller tire increases load on the axles. Its a basic equation of leverage. Just like using a longer breaker bar to get more leverage, just think of it as the ground having more leverage against your axle. Same weight to move, but now it has a longer lever to fight your axle with.

Ideally you should change your rear end ratio before the tire size to adjust for shift points. What RPM are you shifting at? Maybe can shift a bit later so you go through the traps at a better gear place. You also have another glaring problem I can see from your videos (I believe they were yours, Dr thompson?) and that is when you are launching, your rear suspension has WAY too much travel, to the point that it looks like it binds and rebounds while you are still in the 60'. I'm betting you hook really well and then spin tires a bit after 15-20 feet every time? That is from your suspension binding. Another nasty side effect of that is that it will load the axle catastrophically in an IRS car. Reduce that movement, reduce the tire size, and I bet your axle issues will go away.

I refuse to take anyone seriously who thinks a solid axle design is superior over an irs in a road course setting. I also refuse to take anyone seriously who doesn't know the difference between brake and break.

So, you know.. them the brakes, kid.

Edited by The Infidel

You missread. IRS will handle better. The IRS in these cars is a complete and utter P.O.S.

The upgraded IRS works great. Stock 1970s parts don't work so well, I will agree with that. But if he freshens up the suspension and correctly upgrades the parts it will absolutely handle better than a Z with a solid axle and the same power

I refuse to take anyone seriously who thinks a solid axle design is superiour over an irs in a road course setting. I also refuse to take anyone seriously who doesn't know the differance between brake and break.

So, you know.. them the brakes, kid.

Lol

I wouldn't take information from a guy like me if I were you. I would continue to BREAK things.

Edited by mattd428

The upgraded IRS works great. Stock 1970s parts don't work so well, I will agree with that. But if he freshens up the suspension and correctly upgrades the parts it will absolutely handle better than a Z with a solid axle and the same power

That's a lot of money on rear suspension but maybe never tried all the fancy upgrade. But those stock parts.........garbage can all day long.

That's a lot of money on rear suspension but maybe never tried all the fancy upgrade. But those stock parts.........garbage can all day long.

Its arguably one of the best IRS suspensions made for its time. Its not trash by any means. Even with poly bushing and coilovers it will still outhandle most modern designs.

I'm not sure why you think the 240z suspension is so bad? I'm looking for evidence that backs your point, and I'm really not seeing a reason.

Its arguably one of the best IRS suspensions made for its time. Its not trash by any means. Even with poly bushing and coilovers it will still outhandle most modern designs.

I'm not sure why you think the 240z suspension is so bad? I'm looking for evidence that backs your point, and I'm really not seeing a reason.

Because its Hybridz, where misinformation runs rampant and everyone is an expert.

Edited by The Infidel

Personal experience man broken half shafts. Handled like a turd in a toilet bowl around corners. Didn't keep the irs in there for long.

So you ran stock 1970s parts? Did you upgrade any of the IRS before switching it out? Don't condemn it without actually having experienced the IRS in its full glory.

Yes, the stock axles suck. But its a lot cheaper to upgrade axles than swap to a solid axle (Unless you have a special circumstance, like have a shop, welder, experience in that, ect) And MOST people don't frag CV joints like RebekahZ does. (Which I'm sure will get figured out)

I'm no IRS junky either, my car has a 9" and 28" tires. But it also runs bottom 9s with very little boost,and drives thousands of miles without any issues. I only went solid axle due to safety. No other reason.

Side note, this is probably the most posts that hybridZ has seen in years. Keep it up before the mods come and try to shut us down for talking too much.

So you ran stock 1970s parts? Did you upgrade any of the IRS before switching it out? Don't condemn it without actually having experienced the IRS in its full glory.

Yes, the stock axles suck. But its a lot cheaper to upgrade axles than swap to a solid axle (Unless you have a special circumstance, like have a shop, welder, experience in that, ect) And MOST people don't frag CV joints like RebekahZ does. (Which I'm sure will get figured out)

I'm no IRS junky either, my car has a 9" and 28" tires. But it also runs bottom 9s with very little boost,and drives thousands of miles without any issues. I only went solid axle due to safety. No other reason.

Side note, this is probably the most posts that hybridZ has seen in years. Keep it up before the mods come and try to shut us down for talking too much.

I did the z32 axles broke one in about a week. IRS has it's place don't get me wrong. Definitely not for me though. The nazi moderators will be her soon I'm sure. Maybe I will get a warning for using the brake instead of break.

I seen them nascars fly around some corners.......good enough for them good enough for me. Expert words from doms.

Nascar is the biggest joke of the racing industry. They only JUST started using fuel injection in 2012. They are in the stone ages for racing, and solid axles are more for limiting the speed than anything else. (Which is coincidentally the root of 99% of Nascar's rules)

I did the z32 axles broke one in about a week. IRS has it's place don't get me wrong. Definitely not for me though. The nazi moderators will be her soon I'm sure. Maybe I will get a warning for using the brake instead of break.

What part did you break? How fast was the car at the time? Did your springs bind on the launch? I'm genuinely curious since I've gone quite a bit faster for way longer on the z32 axles than most people here without any issues, but I dialed my pinion angle/spring rate/ect in correctly.