HybridZ

Help me choose my struts

Hello,

Reviving this thread since my leas thread was lost in the crash. I have pretty much settled on the Bilstein Sport Struts ( P30-0032 or 34-184530). The last poster mentioned that a 1-ton truck lug nut works great as a spacer. Does it matter what truck it comes off of?

Also, after researching the prices of the Bilstein Struts I came across F4-P30-0137-H1 which is a Bilstein HD strut cartridge for the same model VW's. Has anyone tried these on a Z car and what is the difference between the Sport and HD models?

Thanks,

Han

Edited by mr_han_solo

It was me. I think I can find the number of the correct gland nut but they were expensive. It might be on the strut fact thread. I used a 1ton lug nut from my old International but a Chevy one should work. It is much taller than a regular lug nut and has a large concave surface on one side which fits the strut nicely.

Pretty sure you want the Sports.

Sports are valved stiffer than HDs, I believe.

After doing a ton of research, thinking, and planning, I bought a set of P30-0032 (34-184530) from AJUSA earlier this summer. Looks like they're still on sale: http://www.ajusa.com/Bilstein-34-184530-Monotube-Strut-Insert-ab061a.html

Here's a link to my thread with a photo of the parts, including the correct gland nut (which Bilstein calls a "Ring Nut") part number for 240Z/early 260Z strut tubes (B4-B30-U232B1, big thanks to John Coffey for that one). This makes the Bilsteins almost a plug-and-play affair, just need to fab a strut spacer. :)

Edited by Leon

Dang it something was tight somewhere.

I ordered B4-B30-U232A1 gland nuts and they worked in my 280Z tubes. Anyway that is what the invoice says. 22.50 a piece in 2012.

Look here for more info or possibly confusion.http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/69623-the-strut-thread-koni-illumina-tokico-carrera-bilstein-ground-control/page-13

Can someone corroborate if that is the right nut  for a 280? I don't know how it could be wrong since I have 280 tubes front and rear but I don't want to lead anyone astray. 

Edited by logr

Thank you all for the replies. I contacted shox.com about the gland nuts. I was originally given a quote on B30-629 A1 which was what I thought the correct 240z gland nut was they gave me the quote of $26.95ea. Since ajusa is cheaper I have now contacted them (with updated info from this thread about availability and price) on gland nut B4-B30-U232B1. I have not heard back from them yet.

Now after the last few replies I'm left wondering which is the correct gland nut for a 240z? Is it the B30-629 A1 or the B4-B30-U232B1?

AJUSA was fantastic to deal with, very helpful. I will say that when placing my order back in July, I was told I got the last 4 gland nuts they had in stock. Hopefully Bilstein is still manufacturing them.

As you can see, B4-B30-U232B1 is clearly a correct part number as far as ordering them goes. That's the number I gave AJUSA. For added confusion, the tops of my gland nuts say B30-629 B1...

I don't remember what I paid for them exactly but it was in the neighborhood of the quote you got, so they add about $100 to the cost of the struts. It was well worth it to me.

AJUSA was fantastic to deal with, very helpful. I will say that when placing my order back in July, I was told I got the last 4 gland nuts they had in stock. Hopefully Bilstein is still manufacturing them.

As you can see, B4-B30-U232B1 is clearly a correct part number as far as ordering them goes. That's the number I gave AJUSA. For added confusion, the tops of my gland nuts say B30-629 B1...

I don't remember what I paid for them exactly but it was in the neighborhood of the quote you got, so they add about $100 to the cost of the struts. It was well worth it to me.

I can confirm that they do still make the nut. AJUSA gave me the quote of $24 each.

Also, in the old deleted thread someone chimed in an named two spring brands and the spring sizes that would work with the cosmo coil-overs if I'm not happy with the rates. Hoping that they will post those brands here again. Thanks.

Tein and Swift springs are the only two readily-available brands I've seen in 2.75" ID.  I have no direct personal experience with Tein, but I know that they are often shipped from Japan, and can result in lengthy shipping times.  I've owned several pairs of Swift springs, and have always been happy with their quality and price.....purchased my last couple pair from FRSport.com, and was very pleased with their customer service.

Hope this helps.

I can confirm that they do still make the nut. AJUSA gave me the quote of $24 each.

Also, in the old deleted thread someone chimed in an named two spring brands and the spring sizes that would work with the cosmo coil-overs if I'm not happy with the rates. Hoping that they will post those brands here again. Thanks.

Good to hear!

They are going in a 1973 240z. Any surprises I need to look out for due to this? I know you said just curious, but I suppose I'm just a worrier. Been holding off the purchase for the past week to make sure i'm as informed as possible. Just saw that they marked the struts down to $132. Gotta jump on that while I can though.

Edited by mr_han_solo

Well I ordered the struts last week. Ajusa said it may take about two weeks for delivery, and that isn't that big of a deal to me since its going to be a winter project. I have two quick questions though about the installation. I am using the older guide (2008 I think) found on here. In it I have to cut and shorten the strut tubes. Is this something I will still have to do even if I get the correct spacers? If it is can someone tell me the size of the strut tubes so I can buy the correct tubing cutter?

My second question is about the bump stops. The Bilsteins have an internal bump stop, correct? Does this mean that I can go ahead and sell the bump stops that came with the prothane kit?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

How do these compare to the 1437-RACE Koni's? Looks to be bigger diameter rod? My Koni's have loosened up where there is some side to side play and am wondering if there is a stronger / stiffer strut option.

I think these do have a bigger diameter rod. From the research I did, these are as good or better than the race Konis. This Thread is pretty extensive on comparing the different strut options and actually swayed my decision to choose the Bilsteins over the Konis or Illumias.

The shiney "rod" you see in the Bilsteins is actually the shock body.  The Bilsteins are inverted shocks.  Whether they are better or worse then the Konis depends on your usage.  I've raced on both and prefer the Konis.  Others prefer the Bilsteins when revalved.