HybridZ

Rb20det 260z weird rattling noise from engine

aliufu

Recently bought and installed rb20 from a gtst on a 260z. Everything on the engine is stock including the turbo. It has less than 52,000 miles on it and compression on all 6 cylinders were perfect. After going for my first "real drive" on the highway I started noticing a rattling sound. I just changed the oil after having it in for 2 weeks and it was all black and only had 3L left over. I expected the oil to be black from the carbon buildup from sitting around all these years. Why it burned the rest? Beats me at this point but im most concerned about this sound which I was hoping would disappear after the oil change. Anybody else experience this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGGsbxbN6Hs&index=1&list=UUdH8WP3yCgmmuX9vE5lPOEQ

Edited by aliufu

Recently bought and installed rb20 from a gtst on a 260z. Less than 52,000 miles on it and compression on all 6 cylinders were perfect. After going for my first "real drive" on the highway I started noticing a rattling sound. Changed the oil and it was all black and only had 3L in it. Keep in mind that the oil was put in 2 weeks ago and so the black color is to be expected from the carbon buildup. Why it burned the rest? Beats me at this point but im most concerned about this sound which I was hoping would disappear after the oil change. Anybody else experience this before?

"My first guess would be blown turbo and then losing a ton of oil out either the intake or exhaust seals. That in turn might cause the rattling sound of the turbo clanking from terrible bearings. Does it spool well and have good power? Black smoke when idling? on the gas? etc. need to know more to help.

What have you checked so far."

Edit: above was written before the video was posted...i'm not incompetent.

Edited by mtnickel

Ok got the video to upload. The car runs perfectly fine! You can hear the turbo spooling and nothing feels off. To answer your question of whether it has good power? I don't know since I never drove an RB before. I own a 09 wrx so if I were to compare the two, the wrx reaches boost a lot faster (Rb takes forever) and pulls a lot harder and my wrx is currently stock. I do suspect something is off with the boost since it doesn't pull as hard as I would expect an RB to but maybe that's just my unrealistic expectations. 

There are no other issues I've seen with the car other than burning oil and this noise. No black smoke or any visible exhaust fumes. Like I said, I was hoping that it was just low on oil and the 3L that was left is low but not AWFULLY low. But I changed that and the noise remains. Engine temp is perfectly fine and has never gone over 190 even on full throttle and 30 min drives. This is all I've checked so far. I am new to RB engines and am at my wit's end. 

Here is a video of it about a week prior. The only problem at this point was that injector #6 was on and off but since then that has been resolved.

Edited by aliufu

^Same

Completely unfamiliar with RB engines. But when my WRX made a sound like that, it was rod knock from a spun bearing. Like a ball peen drum tattoo at around 3000 rpm. You get a chance to inspect that old oil/filter? Oil dipstick out in the sunlight clearly showed metal filings, in my case. Hope it's something else for you.

Edited by Zipper

My first post was before the video, not fair. haha. Anyways, it certainly sounds like rod knock, but that wouldn't necessarily explain the loss of nearly 3L of oil (i believe stock holds about 6L). The RB should be a very fast spooling engine with the tiny turbo it has on. I still suspect perhaps the turbo was blown...then it leaked out tonnes of oil...then the oil was low which led to oil starvation and killed a bearing. Just a guess. That's really too bad to hear that your (apparently) newish engine may need new bearings. :( Good luck with getting figured out and working better!

Mark

Finally found time to do some tests. Screwdriver test pretty much made a definitive diagnosis of rod-knock. Was able to push the screw driver down and it went down slowly, not like a click. Probably a bearing that's beginning to wear away.

Thanks again for the feedback!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let me know, I still have mine plus goodies.  I'd like to sell it pretty soon TBH, so I'd be willing to work out a killer deal.  Has aftermarket turbo, mani, wastegate, reflashed ECU, GTR 444's, front facing manifold, along with LS coil pack conversion!