HybridZ

L28ET Oil Cooler Blockoff

leifbert

I am preparing a L28Et for installation in my 240Z. The motor has a factory oil cooler and I would like to block it off for now to simplify the installation. I bought adapters and AN blockoff caps to replace the factory banjo bolts. It just occurred to me that I don't know if the motor need to flow oil through the oil cooler fittings for proper oiling. Does anyone know if it is safe to block the cooler lines?

I am preparing a L28Et for installation in my 240Z. The motor has a factory oil cooler and I would like to block it off for now to simplify the installation. I bought adapters and AN blockoff caps to replace the factory banjo bolts. It just occurred to me that I don't know if the motor need to flow oil through the oil cooler fittings for proper oiling. Does anyone know if it is safe to block the cooler lines?

The oil cooler is in series with the oil supply galleys to the crank and head. Cap off the oil cooler lines and kiss your engine goodbye. You can loop the inlet to the outlet on the block adapter. But as Lance Vance suggested, just remove the block adapter, put a filter nipple in the block, and screw the filter to the block just like every other Z without a cooler. Piece of cake to put the block adapter back on when you're ready.

Nigel